ArcGIS Online app works on iPhone but not from desktop computer

12-19-2012 10:48 AM
JohnSepenoski
New Contributor
I have created a basic application for collecting infrastructure locations and attributes in the field using the trial subscription to ArcGIS Online and Desktop 10.1.  I created domain values for an attribute field to record infrastructure ownership via a drop down list, symbolized the data by owner and posted this to ArcGIS online as a feature service.

From my iPhone this works exactly as I want it to.  I can update attributes including the owner field and if I change the owner the symbol changes accordingly.  However, when I try this from my PC I have problems.  Although it correctly displays the owner information when I am not in edit mode, when I go into edit mode the owner field is blanked out.  If I then pick an owner from the drop down list the symbol changes to one that I did not use in the map and this point then disappears from the iPhone view of the map.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnSepenoski
New Contributor
I have a little more insight into my problem.

It appears that from my iPhone the system correctly uses the value from my drop down list while from my PC it uses the code instead of the value.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
There are slight differences between the client apps. On the desktop, if you symbolize based on a field using unique values, the desktop will show the label instead of the actual value in the database. Is this a field you're symbolizing on that you're seeing this?

Mike
0 Kudos
JohnSepenoski
New Contributor
Yes.  I am symbolizing the map by owner of the infrastructure and this is the field that uses the domain/drop down list.
0 Kudos
JohnSepenoski
New Contributor
There are slight differences between the client apps. On the desktop, if you symbolize based on a field using unique values, the desktop will show the label instead of the actual value in the database. Is this a field you're symbolizing on that you're seeing this?

Mike

Mike,

Any ideas for me?  I need to get this application working correctly for a pitch to management in order to continue an ArcGIS Online subscription and possibly move forward on our own ArcGIS server.

John Sep
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
There is no way to disable the behavior in arcgis.com. You could make a copy of the field and symbolize based on that, yet edit the other field...

Mike
0 Kudos