ArcGIS Online fails to add map service if the basemap not in Web Mercator (3857)

12-18-2012 08:56 PM
JackZHANG
Occasional Contributor II
I'm excited to see the new functions been added to ArcGIS online. Thanks ESRI for the great work.

Noted when using a customer basemap in projection rather than Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) (3857), I couldn't add dynamic map service unless the map service is in Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere). In my case, the basemap is in MGA94 zone 55, same as the dynamic map services. I can add the basemap as "basemap", but couldn't add the dynamic map service as the map returns error saying the layer/map cannot be added. But, I could successfully add both map services in ArcGIS Online Explorer.  Has anyone got the same issue? or where I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
enricobonansea
Occasional Contributor
In these weeks we experienced the same problem trying to use our cached basemaps in UTM 32N/WGS84. We noticed the problem with arcgis.com viewer; we did not tried yet with arcgis explorer on line.

The strange thing is that we notice the problem trying to create new webmaps, but we have on nline different webmaps created with the same map services in the past months that are still working....:confused:

We tried with 9.31 and 10.1 services with the same results.
Thank you in advance for hlep
Bye
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The basemap is what sets the coordinate system for the web map. If you use a custom basemap, then you should be able to display other layers over it that support the same coordinate system.

If you have a dynamic map service hosted by ArcGIS Server, it should be able to display over the standard basemap or your custom basemap. ArcGIS Server has the ability to project the data an output an image that matches the coordinate system of the basemap. Other service types, like WMS, may not support a given output coordinate system.

Perhaps you can share the URL to your services and indicate how you're adding them to the web map (as a basemap or overlay layer).

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos