temwo

step by step walk tru on developing a stand alone app with arc engine using python

Discussion created by temwo on Dec 18, 2012
Latest reply on Dec 18, 2012 by mzcoyle
Hi every one,
pls those anyone knw how to go about step by step walk tru on developing a stand alone app with arc engine using python, that will b able to run select layer by attribute queries, display map images in a window like that of arc gis, with a few Geoprocessing, editing tools?
for the select layer by attribute query, its the 'where_clause' that keeps bringing up the error. see script below:

a)
import arcpy
#i have a layer name: 'AllLGA selection' which holds a collection of local govt. areas(LGAs) out of which i intend to select lagos and display the output as stateslyr in TOC. With this next line of code it returns a copy of all LGAs under 'AllLGA selection' and paste them under the new layer 'stateslyr'.
arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management ("AllLGA selection", "stateslyr")
#but when i add this next line of code to pick just 'lagos', it returns error not running any of the codes.
arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management ("stateslyr", "NEW_SELECTION", " [NAME] = 'lagos' ")

b)
import arcpy
#i have a layer name: AllLGA selection which holds a collection of local govt. areas out of which i intend to select 'LAGOS ISLAND' and display the output as stateslyr in TOC. With this next line of code it returns a copy of all LGAs under 'AllLGA selection' and paste them under the new layer 'stateslyr'.
arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management ("Current", "stateslyr")
#but when i add this next line of code to pick just 'LAGOS ISLAND', it returns error not running any of the codes.
arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management("AllLGA selection","NEW_SELECTION","/\NAME/\ = 'LAGOS ISLAND'")

I'll appreciate anyone with a clear walk through on this.

thanks need this asap, cos i'm working on a project and am using python.

Outcomes