Maplex and Labelling Toolbar

06-02-2010 03:02 AM
BedfordGIS
New Contributor II
I have a user who is using ArcMap 9.3 and has Maplex installed for her use, by a former colleague. However she has informed me that when trying to use Maplex Label Engine from the Labelling toolbar, the option is greyed out and unavailable for her to use.

Unfortunately I have no knowledge of Maplex, today is the first time I have heard of it to be honest, and would it be possible for somebody to offer some advice and/or guidance. 

Many thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
WesKing
New Contributor
Hi Harley,
Maplex is an extension so make sure she has the Maplex extension enabled under Tools > Extensions

Not sure if this is the problem, but hope it helps.

W
0 Kudos
BrentFaulk
New Contributor
You have to pay subscription for maplex to work. It is not a free tool. That is the reason for it being greyed out.
0 Kudos
CassandraGray
New Contributor III
You have to pay subscription for maplex to work. It is not a free tool. That is the reason for it being greyed out.

Maplex is a separate extension, although a license for Maplex is included when you have the ArcInfo license.
0 Kudos
BillShockley
Occasional Contributor
I have Arc/Info, but the maplex extension is not listed in the extensions list.  Why is that?
0 Kudos
CassandraGray
New Contributor III
I have Arc/Info, but the maplex extension is not listed in the extensions list.  Why is that?

If it's not listed, then it's not installed. Go to Add or Remove Programs, select ArcGIS Desktop and then click the Change button and modify the installation to include the Maplex extension.
0 Kudos
DavidPhares
New Contributor
Does anyone know how to create a maplex abbreviation file such as .dic or .abb file that I can then import into maplex to use as a abbreviation dictionary?
0 Kudos
CassandraGray
New Contributor III
Does anyone know how to create a maplex abbreviation file such as .dic or .abb file that I can then import into maplex to use as a abbreviation dictionary?

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?id=4054&pid=4049&topicname=Abbreviating_and_trun...
0 Kudos