Areal Interpolation AND trend

12-11-2012 03:19 AM
SebastianSantibanez
New Contributor
Hello,
I am attempting to perform an areal interpolation in some demographic data.  The data exhibit a quadratic trend E-W and linear trend N-S.  I suspect that the trend is (in part) the reason why the covariance fitting is not successful. Is there any direct way to de-trend my polygon data prior to the Areal Interpolation?

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor
Trend removal options are not built into Areal Interpolation, but there are a few things you might try.

First, you may be able to remove some trend by correcting for anisotropy.  It's one of the options on the covariance curve screen of the Wizard.

If that doesn't work, there is a second method that may work, but it is more statistically questionable.  You may be able to represent the polygons as points and use Global or Local Polynomial interpolation to get a general trend.  You can then subtract off this trend from your polygonal data and use areal interpolation on the new detrended data.  After the interpolation, you can add back the trend that you removed.  This methodology is hard to justify if you're using Rate (Binomial) or Event (Overdispersed Poisson) areal interpolation, but it can be reasonably justified for Average (Gaussian).
0 Kudos
SebastianSantibanez
New Contributor
Thank you for your answer Erick.
Unfortunately the global polynomial method for trend removal did not render the expected results for me (besides the fact that I'm working with "Event" data). I decided to move towards areal interpolation with ancilliary data.
0 Kudos