Manage Map Cache Tiles Geoprocessing Service for ArcGIS 10.1 for Server

12-07-2012 11:53 AM
ChanningDale
New Contributor III
I'm trying to use the Manage Map Cache Tiles geoprocessing service that comes out-of-the-box with ArcGIS 10.1 for Server, and I've been getting this error: ERROR 001428: Failed to retrieve configuration for service [insert URL here].  The service itself seems pretty self-explanatory, but I haven't been able to find any documentation on these services so that I can verify that I'm passing in the right parameters.  I'm assuming you use the REST Map Server URL, put in the list of scales, number of caching instances, and select the Update Mode.  I think the issue is the URL, but I'm copying it directly from my REST endpoint and don't understand wha the issue might be.

Could anyone direct me to some documentation or examples they've found, or share your experiences with this tool?

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
StevenMoore1
Esri Contributor
Can you try running the 'Manage Map Server Cache Status' tool, then try again?
0 Kudos
ChanningDale
New Contributor III
I ran the tool (the service version) and got the same error code that I mentioned before, but with a different description: "Failed retrieve configuration for [service URL].  ArcGIS Server requires a service type (ParentType) and a server object extension type (Type)."

I was reading up on SOEs this morning, and I understand that you can build them off of REST or SOAP, but from the documentation it sounds like I need to add my own custom one?  Or was there something I needed to enable on my cached service in order for the geoprocessing services to work?
0 Kudos
GreggCountryman
New Contributor
Did you ever figure this out? I am getting the same messages.
0 Kudos
JadeFreeman
Occasional Contributor III
We too are getting this error.  We initially had no problems using the ManageMapCacheTiles service but I attempted to create a new service and generate the tile cache yesterday for the first time in awhile and ran into this error.
0 Kudos
ChanningDale
New Contributor III
Well, after much trial and error, I discovered that when you run the Manage Map Server Cache Tiles geoprocessing tool from Desktop, it actually calls the corresponding geoprocessing service in the System folder.  So, I don't think the service is meant to be run directly, but only through the Desktop tool.  Just an assumption.  As a side note: just like any other service, sometimes those System folder geoprocessing services need to be restarted if you get funky errors or they seem to be running for longer than normal.