scadaman29325

Flexibility? Can JTX incoporate or emulate MS Access forms?

Discussion created by scadaman29325 on May 31, 2010
Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 by tbello-esristaff
Not sure exactly how to ask this, but...

We are a single-man shop in a small city (pop. 8500) with an ArcEditor license. I'm looking at adding JTX and Workgroup Standard Server to share a work-order system across our network.

I made an MS Access db that DPW/Utilities uses to keep track of thier jobs, note this was not a GIS centric approach.

At first I am very attracted to the JTX solution (from the ESRI product webpages), but after looking at JTX overview
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/0038/003800000001000000.htm
, the forms appear fairly structured, as in, "this is what you get" and "this is how it works". I'm hoping that's not true.

Our Access program has a top section including Customer data and request with comboboxes selections for DPW division, priority, job category... , below that are tabbed pages with subforms for job status, utility meter info, job costs (with subtables for employee and manhours, equipment and hours, and materials...). I'd lke to add tabs for GIS, Area of Interest... and all the tables and relationships...

It works well but the structure has no security and it was my first program, so you can imagine the trial-and-error mess of code (shudder)...

So, instead of relearning the VBA code and jumping through the difficult hoops of getting this done and the fear that with my feable knowledge of MS Access will not make this a timely project, not to mention any future requirements like web access... I was hoping to use the structure of JTX to deploy this citywide keeping with the 10-or-less concurrent license. But I have not come across any editing of the forms as with MS Access. Again hopefully I've been looking in the wrong place.

I'm guessing there is an online help file available somewhere, could someone please post a few links, thank you.

Also, if it is appropriate to ask, could you post a few screenshots of customized forms dealing with customer work request and job cost...

And how did you share this across the network?

Thanks in Advance,
Phil
9.3.1 Editor, XP

Outcomes