Cut Tool for Image Service

05-31-2010 09:51 AM
TubaKumbara
Occasional Contributor
Hi,
I am trying to cut an image service according to a given buffered shapefile.But always it is giving error.
Think that my image service is a world raster file. I am adding this image service and any other buffered shapefile to ArcMap .Then I am executing the Cut Tool.Failed to execute function error message is given but I don't understand why. When I load the raster files(.jp2 files) with which the image service is created, and this time I can execute the cut tool successfully. I dont understand what is wrong with the Image Service.
Even I am writing this in VB.NEt  and no error messages are given. But this time the resulted cut raster is not seen inArcGlobe although it is seen in ArcMap.All of the values are correct but in ArcGlobe I cannot see the raster file. The layer is shown with blank.
So Can you please explain me and show me the way to work with ArcGIS Image Service successfully?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
There is no need to cut the image and craete a new pne. Instead modify the Image Service definition. You can individually edit the footprint of the different rasters to exlude areas that are not to be seen. Alternativly to clip something gloablly edit the Boundary layer and then Recompute Footprint by Clipping to Boundary. Any pixels outside the footprints will be clipped without the need to creating any new dataset. Scuh clipped images work well in ArcGIS applicaitons since transparancy is correctly handled. IE the image can be transitted using JPEG compression, but a mask is also transmitted to cleanly handle the transparent areas.
Note that in ArcGIS 10 the desktop can also do this. Any raster can be clipped using a graphic and the result stored as a LYR file that can be used in applications such as ArcGIS Explorer.
0 Kudos
TubaKumbara
Occasional Contributor
Ok i understand you but maybe I forgot to write. I have to cut the image service during the viewshed operation.
The image service is the elevation image service of whole world. And according to the observer point, i am buffering the point with some distance. then I have to cut the elevation data(image service) according to this buffered polygon. But as I said before during the cut operation error takes place. But I don't understand why. Maybe I have to set some properties of image service before publishing it But i don't know what to do..

There is no need to cut the image and craete a new pne. Instead modify the Image Service definition. You can individually edit the footprint of the different rasters to exlude areas that are not to be seen. Alternativly to clip something gloablly edit the Boundary layer and then Recompute Footprint by Clipping to Boundary. Any pixels outside the footprints will be clipped without the need to creating any new dataset. Scuh clipped images work well in ArcGIS applicaitons since transparancy is correctly handled. IE the image can be transitted using JPEG compression, but a mask is also transmitted to cleanly handle the transparent areas.
Note that in ArcGIS 10 the desktop can also do this. Any raster can be clipped using a graphic and the result stored as a LYR file that can be used in applications such as ArcGIS Explorer.
0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
You can use an Image Service directly in a geoprocessing tool by first using 'Make Image Server Layer'.This enables you to define various properties such as the mosaic method. The Spatial Analyst tools will use the Raster environment variables that include defintipon of the Cell size. I would recommend you specifically define the cell size such else the system will use the Base Pixel Size which depending on the defined extent may be a very large request.
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III
Peter, I can't find the 'Make Image Server Layer' tool.  Is it available in 9.3.1?  If so where?

You can use an Image Service directly in a geoprocessing tool by first using 'Make Image Server Layer'.
0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
Hey Randy

I just did this (with a little help from Gunter).
In the attached python script I use the ISCommand (Image server SDK) but you can also see the original GP command.

Have Fun
Mody
0 Kudos