simonwright

ArcGIS 10.1 for Server Web Coverage Services

Discussion created by simonwright on Nov 27, 2012
Dear All

Has anybody had any success working with OGC Web Coverage Services (WCS) hosted by ArcGIS 10.1 for Server?

I'm investigating whether it's feasible to use WCS to serve data output by a spatio-temporal model - the data are daily data for 37 years with 227964 1 km pixels.  Currently these data are organised as ArcSDE raster catalogs and I've been successful in using these to drive a time-enabled WMS and return images of the data for selected dates.

I'd like to extend this so that it is possible to access the underlying data, so have been investigating WCS served by ArcGIS 10.1 for Server.  For my development environment I'm using a standalone laptop with  ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop and ArcGIS 10.1 for Server installed on it.  To start my investigations I'm using a single raster dataset with a 5 m resolution maintained in a file geodatabase.

I've created a map document with the single raster dataset and have successfully published this using ArcGIS 10.1 for Server as a Map Service with WMS and WCS capabilities.  For the WMS I can successfully perform GetCapabailities and GetMap requests for WMS versions 1.0.0, 1.1.0, 1.1.1 and 1.3.0.  For the WCS I can successfully perform GetCapabilities and DescribeCoverage requests for WCS 1.0.0, 1.1.0, 1.1.1 and 1.1.2.  The DescribeCoverage requests show me that I can return GeoTIFF, NITF and HDF formats for all four versions of the WCS.

But when I attempt GetCoverage requests against the WCS I can only successfully return GeoTIFF and HDF formats against version 1.0.0 of the WCS.  For all other versions of the WCS - 1.1.0, 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 - and for all formats - image/GeoTIFF, image/NITF and image/HDF - the browser sits there for a couple of minutes before returning a browser error: "HTTP Status 400 - The request sent by the client was syntactically incorrect ()."  An example WCS 1.0.0 request which returns an HDF format file which can be successfully previewed in ArcCatalog is:
[INDENT]http://localhost:6080/arcgis/services/PGA2a_DTM5m/PGA2a_DTM5m_v04/MapServer/WCSServer?service=WCS&version=1.0.0&request=GetCoverage&Coverage=1&CRS=EPSG:27700&BBOX=400000,600000,405000,605000&width=400&height=400&format=HDF[/INDENT]
whilst an example WCS 1.1.2 request to return an HDF format file which causes the browser error is:
[INDENT]http://localhost:6080/arcgis/services/PGA2a_DTM5m/PGA2a_DTM5m_v04/MapServer/WCSServer?service=WCS&version=1.1.2&request=GetCoverage&identifier=1&BOUNDINGBOX=400000,600000,430000,655000,urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::27700&FORMAT=image/GeoTIFF[/INDENT]

I've checked the WCS implementation standards to make sure my WCS requests are correctly formed and am also not getting exceptions informing me that my WCS requests aren't correctly formed.

Does anybody have any clues on what I'm doing wrong that prevents me from successfully querying WCS version 1.1.0, 1.1.1 or 1.1.2?

Or are there issues with WCS's served by ArcGIS 10.1 for Server?

I've also noticed that whilst I'm waiting for the browser to return a WCS I'm occasionally getting an error dialogue box popping up with an "ArcSOC.exe has stopped working." error message.  Is this related?  Could it be that my WCS requests are simply attempting to return too much data?  However, if I modify the BOUNDINGBOX parameter to return significantly smaller portions of the data I'm still getting the same error.

Many thanks in advance of any help people can provide.

Best wishes, Simon.

Outcomes