fundamental understanding of publishing arcpy to server

Jump to solution
11-22-2012 08:26 AM
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III
I'm hoping someone can she's some light on this. In nearly every example of creating a web based solution for leveraging arcpy, the current user display passes the extent and AOI, etc to the mxd as parameters. Is that always needed?

I have a ddp enabeled mxd and an arcpy script which accesses that max to submit a unique id corresponding to the index layer which updates the mxd to that desired page....it also happens to update a dynamic table.

Why can't I just roll that script up in a gp service and add it as a tool in my flex app. All the user would supply is the desired page/ id when promoted and a per is produced...the web client wouldn't supply any other parameter. Is it just that simple, or am I missing something?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffMoulds
Esri Contributor
Yes, it can be that simple. If you dont need the extent, layers, client side graphics, etc of the map in your web app, you dont need to use ConvertWebMapToMapDocument.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III
Sorry for misspelling...no way to edit in mobile forums and Droid won't let me access full site for postings.
0 Kudos
JeffMoulds
Esri Contributor
Yes, it can be that simple. If you dont need the extent, layers, client side graphics, etc of the map in your web app, you dont need to use ConvertWebMapToMapDocument.
0 Kudos