Service update - hanging on "creating service definition" floating point raster

11-19-2012 11:33 PM
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

I have some floating point rasters in an enterprise geodatabase, and they are added to the mxd without problem. Pyamids and statistics are built, spatial reference is set. But when I try to publish it, the dialog gets stuck on the "creating service definition" dialog (Packaging in progress ...), and nothing seems to happen - eventually I am forced to kill the ArcMap session.

Any ideas on what could cause this, and how to work around it?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
I can add that the publishing works fine once those layers are removed, and that analyzing doesn't turn up anything too alarming (e.g. only warnings about layers drawing at all scales).
0 Kudos
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
The server is on 10.1 service pack 1, and I have a feeling that this might have worked properly before sp1 got applied...
0 Kudos
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
Another interesting piece of information, I can create a "service definition" file without any major problems, and I can publish that as a new service using the web based manager...
0 Kudos
ErinBrimhall
Occasional Contributor II
Hugo,

I've observed very long delays during the "analyze" and "packaging" phases of creating services.  The exact cause isn't always clear, but there are a few things we can check. 

First off, is your enterprise geodatabase registered with ArcGIS Server?  Any unregistered data that you are trying to expose would be copied to the server, which could explain the long "packaging" time.

The second note is that analyzing and packaging service definitions can take many minutes or even hours (based on my experience) if you are working with very large datasets.  Have you allowed the ArcMap instance to just continue running while you work in a separate session?  I had to resort to this during the analysis step of publishing a Geodata Services from a geodatabase with hundreds of feature classes and tables.
0 Kudos
AndrewSchumpert
New Contributor II
I've having to work with this issue myself when publishing geoprocessing services for 10.1 sp1.  We're also using large floating point rasters stored in an Oracle 11G SDE geodatabase.  My service has some 40 rasters totaling around 200 Gigs.  The 'Creating Service Definition' portion of the publishing process takes around an hour to complete.  Luckily I do not have to update these services too often.  However, it is an inconvenience.

And yes, the database is registered with ArcServer.  Also, I'm certain that the rasters are not being copied out of the geodatabase because the 200 Gigs of imagery would take up a lot of hard disk space somewhere.

Once the service definition portion is completed, the rest of the publishing process runs smoothly, and the service its self performs fine.
0 Kudos
ErkinMukhamedkulov
New Contributor

Same problem.

ArcGis 10.1 Desktop

ArcGis server 10.1

SqlExpress 2008 r2

Windows 7 ultimate x64

System administrator permission allready

Create small service with 15 layers, no warnings or errors. Can`t stage a service definition file or service on Server.

Any idea guys ?

0 Kudos