Using ArcGIS to find a place for a reservoir

11-17-2012 01:37 AM
SimonStock
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm a student and was asked to use ArcGIS and SRTM Data to find a good place for a hydroelectricity power station and the associated reservoir. I know how to calculate the volume of an exisiting reservoir but I really have no clue how to find a perfect place for a new one. I think it should have a large watershed but how do I calculate that?

Thanks,

Simon
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
Simon,

Have you tried looking at the Help in ArcMap, at some point you are going to have to...

There is lots of information about creating watershed boundaries.

Duncan
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
The usually way to do this kind of modeling is to optimize multiple factors, for example: distance to population centers, existing power lines, streamflow, basin area, minimal environmental cost, etc. Using the hydrology tools to find basin area would be a start, but other data layers would help as well. Be creative!
0 Kudos
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III
hi,

this subject falls in the category of site suitability analysis. The usual procedure is through raster analysis tools. Previously it was a multistep procedure like this . But now arcgis has some inbuilt tools that do the above task , look here

so first step is to discuss the selection criteria with domain experts, then collect the required data and follow the procedure above.

Hope this helps,
regards,
0 Kudos