Is this a possible work flow using ArcGIS Desktop and AGOL for Organizations?

11-15-2012 09:55 AM
RandallClark1
New Contributor III
So I want to say yes but I am not sure, if it is, I am having trouble getting it to work and any advice would be appreciated. If it is not, can any one offer me some advice on what to do?

So what I envision is building by map in using ArcGIS desktop, then using my ArcGIS online for Organizations subscription publish my map as a service to my account. Once it has been published I want to create a web map using ArcGIS Explorer Online and the just published service.

Once web map is made I want to provide a link to the client.

Now that part I have down and works well, not great but well, but for the next step I am having problems.

What I want to do is make edits and updates to the map, but I envisioned doing this in ArcGIS desktop and then instead of publishing a new service, I want to overwrite the existing service in the hopes that once this has been done that any web map that references the service would be updated to reflect the new edits/updates. However this is not happening, when I open the web map the layers are either not working or don???t reflect any of the updates. Am I doing something wrong or is my understanding of this completely off?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewHargreaves
Occasional Contributor II
Hello
Did you ever resolve this? I want to do exactly the same thing and when attempting to 'overwrite' existing feature services I get nothing. I attempt to 'share' my map from directly inside 10.1 desktop. I choose to overwrite an existing service and chose my existing service (see image).
Then that's it.
Nothing more.
No changes inside my ArcGIS Online account either.
Do I need to wait for the ArcGISOnline to clear it's own cache or something?[ATTACH=CONFIG]0[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19439[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
RandallClark1
New Contributor III
Hi Andrew,

No nothing yet, But still hoping. If i figure something out i will let you know

Randall Clark
GIS Manager
InDepth Corporation
0 Kudos
JohnSepenoski1
New Contributor
Did you ever get this figured out?  I am having the same problem.
0 Kudos
SarahSchwarzer2
New Contributor II
I'm looking for a similar solution. Maybe someone will have something to add!

Sarah
0 Kudos
BrianFlood
Occasional Contributor
The next version of Arc2Earth allows you to directly edit your AGOL feature services from ArcMap/ArcView. While we have not officially released it yet (still working on new website and docs), you can download the new version after you create an account here: https://accounts.arc2earth.com

When you add your AGOL (or AGS) feature services to the map, we start OnDemand syncing of your data as you pan/zoom the map. This works well for large layers since you're only downloading what data you need but you can always Download the entire cache as needed. Edits are applied to the source services as soon as an internet connection is available.

try it out, we're looking for any and all feedback!

cheers
brian
0 Kudos
I2AdminICF
New Contributor
For vectors, you can edit the feature directly in ArcGIS and those edits be reflected in the layer online. Its simple. After you have your published service running in AGOL, open ArcGIS (10.1) (**NOTE - the feature layer must be enabled for edits). Using the Add Data button, select to "Add Data from AGOL. Make sure you login to your AGOL account.

Find the data you want to update or edit, and click "add".

Next, right click on the top level of the layer (see attached) and select Edit Features -> Create Local Copy for editing.

Make your edits / changes, and then do the same procedure as above, except this time select "Synchronize Local Edits with Server"

I use this a lot, and is easier than having to "overwrite" services, which does not seem to work, as many posters above have indicated.

-Z
0 Kudos