Randall_T_Clark

Is this a possible work flow using ArcGIS Desktop and AGOL for Organizations?

Discussion created by Randall_T_Clark on Nov 15, 2012
Latest reply on May 31, 2013 by ICFGIS
So I want to say yes but I am not sure, if it is, I am having trouble getting it to work and any advice would be appreciated. If it is not, can any one offer me some advice on what to do?

So what I envision is building by map in using ArcGIS desktop, then using my ArcGIS online for Organizations subscription publish my map as a service to my account. Once it has been published I want to create a web map using ArcGIS Explorer Online and the just published service.

Once web map is made I want to provide a link to the client.

Now that part I have down and works well, not great but well, but for the next step I am having problems.

What I want to do is make edits and updates to the map, but I envisioned doing this in ArcGIS desktop and then instead of publishing a new service, I want to overwrite the existing service in the hopes that once this has been done that any web map that references the service would be updated to reflect the new edits/updates. However this is not happening, when I open the web map the layers are either not working or don???t reflect any of the updates. Am I doing something wrong or is my understanding of this completely off?

Thanks

Outcomes