Adding raster data to ArcGIS Online?

11-14-2012 08:46 AM
EricFoley
New Contributor
Hi all,
Trying to add 3 files I created from a dem file (aspect, slope and elevation). These files are for 1 piece of property. I'm really confussed as to how to upload these to my web map!
Tags (2)
10 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The web map doesn't support directly uploading raster data. Your data would need to be accessible through a service either hosted in ArcGIS Online (tiled map service) or running on ArcGIS Server (map service or image service).

Thanks,

Mike
VijayashreeN
New Contributor
The web map doesn't support directly uploading raster data. Your data would need to be accessible through a service either hosted in ArcGIS Online (tiled map service) or running on ArcGIS Server (map service or image service).

Thanks,

Mike

I understand from the arcgisonline uploading data should be shape, csv, text or jpeg, png in my content place and in the other place when a new map is created it asks for adding the data from file or web and in this place it allows only to upload shp, gpx or text file. It looks confusing to me because I want to upload a png file onto the map that I have already created.  Can anybody help me on this.

Thanks
Vijay
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Vijay,

We don't support adding images, like png, directly to the web map. We do support adding images to "My Content" if you have a subscription, however, these images aren't georeferenced, but rather a picture. The only way to display image data in the web map is to create a web service from arcgis server.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
VijayashreeN
New Contributor
Vijay,

We don't support adding images, like png, directly to the web map. We do support adding images to "My Content" if you have a subscription, however, these images aren't georeferenced, but rather a picture. The only way to display image data in the web map is to create a web service from arcgis server.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Mike.
0 Kudos
MelanieRosenberg
New Contributor

Hey there,

I have also added raster data by converting it to a kml, adding it to the web (maybe via dropbox) and using the "Add Layer from Web" tool.  This may not be the most efficient way but if you do not have a server to work with then this will work.

mfr

Azalea_KamelliaAbdullah1
New Contributor

Hello,

I'm not sure if my understanding is right, but won't the kml file open as something alike to polygons/polyline/points in the webmap later? May I know how you go about obtaining and converting the raster data into kml format? I'm kind of new to GIS processes and analysis. Thanks in advance for this info!

0 Kudos
myname
by
New Contributor III

You can convert raster to kml and export it to ArcGIS online, here tutorial Add raster to ArcGIS Online - YouTube 

0 Kudos
DaneWilkins1
New Contributor

So just to clarify, ArcGIS Online does not have an option to import a File System Raster that pyramids the different layers of images that have increasing resolution so you have an interactive image. You must pic an approximate area and export the image making it static as either a KML/KMZ file, png, or jpeg?

0 Kudos