Edit Web Adaptor configuration settings?

Jump to solution
11-14-2012 06:48 AM
DaveHighness
Occasional Contributor II
Hi, I've installed the Web Adaptor on a web server and I am trying to point it to another server with ArcServer running on it. I go through the configuration and add the server using the servers internal IP and all seems well. It looks like the Web Adaptor is registering the ArcServer as name "SITEHOST". When I try to hit the rest endpoint through the WebAdaptor on the web server I am getting the message "The remote name could not be resolved: 'sitehost'". Why didn't the Web Adaptor keep the reference as the interal IP instead of the "SITEHOST" name? Is there a Web Adaptor configuration file somewhere that I can go and edit this value?

BTW. I am doing this on the Amazon EC2 and I am doing this in a Security Group. Both instances are in the same Security Group. I don't have a Virtual Private Network setup. Maybe I need that? I was able to share files between the two servers.

Thanks, Dave
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DaveHighness
Thanks, I ended up just naming the server SITEHOST and now it all works. I'm not sure how this will work out when I try to add another ArcServer instance to the network but cross that bridge when I get to it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DaveHighness
So, I found "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\arcgis\WebAdaptor.config" and changed the "Node" value from "SITEHOST" to the Internal IP of the ArcServer and the Web Adaptor started working and I could see my ArcServer through the web Adaptor. Then the Web Adaptor automatically switch the "Node" value back to "SITEHOST" and now it's not working again. Arg!

Dave
0 Kudos
chuckfrank
Occasional Contributor
EDIT: If the internal IP of the server works but the name of the server doesn't work, try adding an entry to your hosts file on the server when the web adaptor is installed.  Location - C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Add the internal ip and the name of the server.

We had been experiencing the exact same issue except we aren't using Amazon.  During configuration we could use the internal IP, but the link for the services at the bottom of the screen returned the error: The remote name could not be resolved [server name].

Hope this helps.
DaveHighness
Thanks, I ended up just naming the server SITEHOST and now it all works. I'm not sure how this will work out when I try to add another ArcServer instance to the network but cross that bridge when I get to it.
0 Kudos