possible to add Intranet Google Earth imagery as layer to web app?

Jump to solution
11-13-2012 04:14 AM
martinschmoll
New Contributor III
I work on an Intranet and we have a Google Earth globe with all of our imagery.  Is there a way for me add that imagery to an ArcGIS JavaScript API web map as a layer? 

I'm using ArcGIS Server 10.1 and API 3.2.  I have no idea about the Google Earth side of things (if that matters).
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
If you pass in tileInfo, the WebTiledLayer will use that. Otherwise, it defaults to web mercator.

Edit:  You already marked this as answered, but I wanted to follow up with more info and an example showing a non-web-mercator tiled layer.

When you do this, your esri.Map will have to use 4326 as its spatial reference. This will happen automatically if you create your map and specify its extent in 4326 or if you specify no extent and the first layer you add to the map is your Google Imagery layer. I point out the spatial reference side of this because you won't be able to use other tiled services that are in web mercator. You'll still be able to use dynamic map services and feature layers as those support project on the fly.

Here's an example of using a web tiled layer in 4326:  http://jsfiddle.net/b2U82/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
martinschmoll
New Contributor III
After some more reading it appears esri.layers.WebTiledLayer is the way to go. 

Google Maps for Google Earth Enterprise follows the same URL format of http://some.domain.com/${level}/${col}/${row}/.

My problem is determining the esri.layers.TileInfo parameters for it because it wasn't created in web mercator (or 'GMercatorProjector' in Google speak) but rather 'LatLngProjection'.

Main question: will WebTiledLayer work on non-WebMercator services?

If yes, then I have to figure out the rest of the esri.layers.TileInfo props:

• dpi (72)

• format (jpg)

• height (256)

• lods (?)

• origin (?)

• spatialReference (4326)

• width (256)

0 Kudos
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
If you pass in tileInfo, the WebTiledLayer will use that. Otherwise, it defaults to web mercator.

Edit:  You already marked this as answered, but I wanted to follow up with more info and an example showing a non-web-mercator tiled layer.

When you do this, your esri.Map will have to use 4326 as its spatial reference. This will happen automatically if you create your map and specify its extent in 4326 or if you specify no extent and the first layer you add to the map is your Google Imagery layer. I point out the spatial reference side of this because you won't be able to use other tiled services that are in web mercator. You'll still be able to use dynamic map services and feature layers as those support project on the fly.

Here's an example of using a web tiled layer in 4326:  http://jsfiddle.net/b2U82/
0 Kudos
martinschmoll
New Contributor III

Thanks for that, it's working!
0 Kudos