export multipatch to single collada

10-30-2012 12:39 PM
SilviaBologna
New Contributor
I export a shapefile to sketchup by using the multipatch to collada tool and I obtain a single collada file for each feature of the shapefile. Is there any way of obtaining a single collada file containing all the features of the multipatch layer?

Thanks in advance
Tags (1)
4 Replies
JulieRediker
New Contributor II
Here's how I would do it:
I have a single building made up of three polygons that I would like to be a single 3D feature when I convert it to a collada file.
- I add a text field called "Description" to the polygon multipatch attribute table.
- I select all three records, use the field calculator to change their "Description" to "Building1".
- I open up the "Multipatch To Collada" tool, fill in the "Input" and "Output" information and then, where it asks for the "Use Field Name", choose "Description" from the dropdown list.
- Click "OK".

From my experience, when I open the collada file in SketchUp the three polygons have now become one file. If I were to look in the folder I designated as the output location and I saw one file called "Building1.dae" then I know it worked.

Now, let's suppose that you have a number of features in the multipatch file with a variety of "Description" values (i.e., Building1, Building2, Building3). When you run the conversion to collada you will have one .dae file for each "Description" (i.e., Building1.dae, Building2.dae, Building3.dae).

Hope this helps.

Julie
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

I would like to export 1500 buildings to a single Collada file. Did you ever find a way to do this? Specifying a "group_field" with the same attribute value for each feature exports one building at a time....and then next building overwrites the previous building. Is there a way to export these buildings as a single layer?

0 Kudos
YerkoLucic
New Contributor

Any news about this issue? .

I'm working with some census data and there are thousands of separate collada object that would be nice to export just as one object.

Or anybody knows a software that can merge 3d files?. I've tried meshlab, they import well but all of them in the center of the 3d space.

0 Kudos
AlexArshadi
New Contributor II

I'm in the same boat as the other commenters. Just wanna export a bunch of buildings in a single collada file. Has this really not been solved or figured out yet?

0 Kudos