DDP: Always exports extent of data driven page, even after manually adjusting?

Jump to solution
10-29-2012 03:05 PM
TimBarnes
Occasional Contributor III
Hi there- I've created some generic index polygons (previously used with DSMapbook) and have now created a map-series using Data Driven pages. Im only interested in using a few of the mapsheets so am exporting specific maps after going to that page.

Because of changes to various map elements and the different purpose of some maps, I need to slightly change the location of the map center from what the datadriven page pans to. However, when you export the map page with the shifted extent, the output is of the original location of the data driven page rather than what was showing onscreen when you started the export (or print) process- Is there anyway to disable this so it will export what is on screen?

Cheers
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
There is no simple alternative export as there was with DSMapbook.  I've done three things.  First, it's pretty easy to disable DDP, export the altered extent, and then re-enable the DDP.  Nothing more is needed and it's my usual mode to handle the occasional need.  Second, you could bookmark your altered extent and then use arcpy to export the bookmark(s).  I haven't tried this yet myself but plan to.  Third, you can of course alter your index layer extent or add another polygon to it that reflects the altered extent.  There is an add-in by Jakub Sisak called Extent to Polygon that can make it easy to create the new extent polygon and then if needed you can transfer attributes to it quickly with the spatial adjustment toolbar.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MarcinGasior
Maybe it would be most straightforward to edit index feature class and move some index rectangles to desired position?
0 Kudos
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
There is no simple alternative export as there was with DSMapbook.  I've done three things.  First, it's pretty easy to disable DDP, export the altered extent, and then re-enable the DDP.  Nothing more is needed and it's my usual mode to handle the occasional need.  Second, you could bookmark your altered extent and then use arcpy to export the bookmark(s).  I haven't tried this yet myself but plan to.  Third, you can of course alter your index layer extent or add another polygon to it that reflects the altered extent.  There is an add-in by Jakub Sisak called Extent to Polygon that can make it easy to create the new extent polygon and then if needed you can transfer attributes to it quickly with the spatial adjustment toolbar.
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
This is behavior is by design.  The print and export options use DDP settings when DDP is enabled.  As suggested above, temporarily disable DDP to export/print modified settings.

Jeff
0 Kudos
TimBarnes
Maybe it would be most straightforward to edit index feature class and move some index rectangles to desired position?

This is what I ended up doing. Perhaps not ideal, but the quickest and most repeatable solution.
0 Kudos
TimBarnes
This is behavior is by design.  The print and export options use DDP settings when DDP is enabled.  As suggested above, temporarily disable DDP to export/print modified settings.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff
I can certainly see the advantages of this approach in some (most) cases, it is just a little confusing as the extent shown when you invoke the Export/Print dialogue is not what is in your output. Just something to be aware of I guess.
0 Kudos
TimBarnes
And John- Thanks also, I've marked your post as the answer. 😮
0 Kudos