Connection Lines

10-29-2012 10:47 AM
Labels (1)
BettyConces
New Contributor III
Can connection/connector lines be edited and/or deleted?

Update: I see where I can populate the Legal End Date field and I'll add a Definition Query. Maybe this is my answer. Does anyone have a comment or idea?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor
Hello Betty,

To delete connection lines, you can simply open the parcel and delete them but they are an important part of the Parcel Fabric.

At 10.1 using the Tax Parcel editing map included on the resource center, lines are turned off by default.  Anytime you open a parcel, create a new parcel or parcel(s) lines are automatically toggled on temporarily during those edits. 

You could also just simply remove the symbology class all together from the layer, but then you would lose the ability to create them via feature templates.
0 Kudos
TracyPalermino1
New Contributor

Do you have information on how to use connection lines wisely?  It appears they are to be used to connect islands of parcels and line points.  However, I have noticed some techs using them to connect corner points on ajacent parcels to a parcel that has an origin connection line.  I am not sure if this useful.  Also can it affect joining? That is if I try to join a new parcel or construction with the second join method to a joined parcel that has connection lines.

0 Kudos
BettyConces
New Contributor III
Thanks for your reply Chris. The reason I was looking for ways to edit the connection lines was because after our import of a township (our test township) there were many long, long connection lines that didn't seem to make sense.
Is there some where connection lines are detailed so we can understand them better? I've read a little about them in the white paper and in the help but it didn't help too much.
Should we let ArcMap do its thing and know it has a plan? 🙂
0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor
Here is a link to more detailed information about connection lines.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Adding_connection_lines_to_improve_connect...

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00wp00000043000000

The documentation talks about connectivity and adjustments but there are other reasons to maintain connection lines.

Origin Connection (Line category 6)

Used for lines that connect a point of beginning to the starting point of a parcel. When creating a new parcel, an origin connection line is always entered first, then the remaining traverse lines of the parcel are entered.

For example, origin connection lines (or tie-lines) are designed to traverse the bearings and distances needed to get from the origin (commencement) point to the point of beginning of the description.  This is important metadata and map display information to trace your path back to the original tie position.

Hope this helps

Chris
0 Kudos