Item Gallery Using Internal ArcGIS Server

10-26-2012 08:18 AM
Charlesshultz
New Contributor III
All,
I would like to know if anyone has built a map item gallery that is connected to their internal server and not ArcGIS.com. This is what I would like to do using the gallery dijit but am not sure it can be done. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Charles
0 Kudos
11 Replies
JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor
unfortunately the ArcGIS Online and Portal APIs are what is used behind the scenes to make sense of "item ids".
0 Kudos
Charlesshultz
New Contributor III
With your knowledge of the API, do you think a way exists to replicate this type of gallery?
0 Kudos
JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor
they say where there's a will, theres a way, but if you aren't hosting your own internal Portal, i'm not really sure how you would go about putting together a page which serves as a gallery of your ArcGIS Server content.
0 Kudos
Charlesshultz
New Contributor III
Well... I have Will and I have some time.. and we seem to have awesome on our side... but a Way, that remains to be seen. You mentioned an internal portal, what is the difference between just ArcGIS server serving out map services and application and an internal portal? Any documentation?
I guess in the end I could just fake it writing to a SQL database the map applications and services and doing the caps manually.. yuk.
Thanks,
Charles
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
I use nliu's Basemap Control (same author of TOC and googlelayer).  Its very similiar, but has way more functionality and is super easy to configure. 

http://www.mymanatee.org/gisapps/mapviewer/index.jsp?widgetOn=Basemap%20Gallery

Last version he supported it at was 1.07 (his version number) but i have continued to have it work in the 3.2api with minor tweaks

http://gmaps-utility-gis.googlecode.com/svn/tags/agsjs/1.07/
0 Kudos
JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor
I use nliu's Basemap Control (same author of TOC and googlelayer). Its very similiar, but has way more functionality and is super easy to configure.

thanks for the suggestion Jeff :).

what is the difference between just ArcGIS server serving out map services and application and an internal portal? Any documentation?

Charles,
think of Portal as a means to host something identical to arcgis.com on your own internal server.  its a totally separate thing from ArcGIS Server.
0 Kudos
Charlesshultz
New Contributor III
Jeff,
I am looking to emulate the Map item gallery so users can select the mapping application that they need... much like whaqt you see when you go to the code gallery for this API... also, greetings from Texas we may have meet a while back when I worked in Hillsborough County. Cheers
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
Jeff,
I am looking to emulate the Map item gallery so users can select the mapping application that they need... much like whaqt you see when you go to the code gallery for this API... also, greetings from Texas we may have meet a while back when I worked in Hillsborough County. Cheers

Oh I got you, sorry I see gallery and make assumptions.
0 Kudos
JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor
i've been thinking about this some more... if you'd like to create a gallery for your completed JavaScript applications you can register the URLs with your arcgis.com account and share the items with a group.

i haven't done this myself, but i think that supplying some appropriate group credentials in your gallery app should be enough for you to use arcgis.com to query for specific applications in a gallery app.

check out the application link below for an example.  although the item is registered with arcgis.com, its hosted on a totally different server.
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=6e36e6dc4bb04c069ceba3a50d9471d8

this won't allow you to present map/feature services etc, but it could be a cool way to link to completed web apps.
0 Kudos