How do I stay current with future releases of the Local Government Information Model?

10-17-2012 06:05 AM
Labels (1)
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
We recently got a question and thought it might be valuable to post it on the forum:

"We are moving our CAD based mapping to the ESRI Local Government Information model.  This process is well underway and I'm trying to get a handle on how we are going to manage change going forward.

What is the general approach to releasing ESRI Local Government Information Model changes going forward.  Can I expect to see upgrade wizards sort of like we see when a new release of a geodatabase comes out with a new release of ArcGIS?  I need to get a handle on how we are going to keep our 300+ LGIM compliant municipal clients, which will likely have data model customizations. current as updates are made to the LGIM by ESRI."
2 Replies
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
We are providing detailed release notes with each release of the local government information model and I would use these to guide your strategy.  I would not think about the quarterly releases as a �??compliance issue�?�.  Rather, I would review the maps and apps provided in the solution and decide which maps and apps you'd like to deploy and use that as a way to determine when/if you upgrade the information model. 

We are not providing an upgrade wizard per se.  But, we are teaching users how to use subsequent releases of each schema and an Add-in called Xray for ArcCatalog to determine what changes exist (ex. compare your current schema to the new Local Government Information Model) and create a new schema that reflects the changes you�??d like to make.  Then you can create a new schema and work it through your dev, staging, QA and production deployment approach.
LeonScott
New Contributor II
I've been trying device a workflow for upgrading my existing data in a previous version of the LGIM to a newer LGIM schema using X-Ray, just as were explaining.  I am running into an issue when I try to create to an updated schema  using X-Ray that preserves some changes that I made with the newer version of the LGIM.  I had expected when I used the 'Merge Into XML' then import that to a new geodatabase, it would include a combination of missing items from each geodatabase.  Instead it seems to have added the fields missing from one source, but not the other.   I was expecting the sum of the two.

I also tried to use the Import Using Geoprocessing tool, but it kept giving me an error on the domains.  The errors where "Domain Name: Value is required".  It appears that I somehow generated some XML with blank domains.

Leon
0 Kudos