display distinct values in ArcMap

Jump to solution
10-16-2012 06:14 AM
WinstonSastroredjo
New Contributor
Is there a way to only display distinct values in ArcMap?

I have a view from another DB in my GDB and for some reason there are duplicate records in it. (Maybe a data quality issue).
Whenever I display this view as en point event in ArcMap I also get to see those duplicate records (when labeling).
Is there a way to only display distinct values in ArcMap? (I really need to perform a data quality check on the DB itselfs, and remove the duplicates)

Reagrds, Winston Sastroredjo
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
Best thing, as you know, is to 'clean up' your data, and this should be relatively simple to do too, but your 1st question was about 'map display', correct?

If working with points, a crude (but effective) way is to simply control this at the 'Placement Properties' on the Labels tab of Layer Properties.  One way is, in the Buffer section, enter a small value to override the placement of coincident points....but careful not to introduce a problem not displaying points clustered close together that you indeed do wish to display.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
Best thing, as you know, is to 'clean up' your data, and this should be relatively simple to do too, but your 1st question was about 'map display', correct?

If working with points, a crude (but effective) way is to simply control this at the 'Placement Properties' on the Labels tab of Layer Properties.  One way is, in the Buffer section, enter a small value to override the placement of coincident points....but careful not to introduce a problem not displaying points clustered close together that you indeed do wish to display.
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Do you have ArcInfo, (or ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced).  If so, you can use the Delete Identical tool to delete duplicate values.
0 Kudos