Eclipse's Emulator (ArcGIS Android App)?!!

10-16-2012 04:03 AM
ss3
by
New Contributor
Hello everyone,

I am new to Eclipse. I am trying to learn it step by step. I am trying to create an ArcGIS app for Android using "Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers". I followed this tutorial  , and noticed this sentence: "Be sure to have an Android device connected to the machine. We do not support running in an Emulator."
My question is >>> How can I test my app? Is what have been mentioned is true?! I think that this tutorial is old because they are talking about old SDK version.
I thought about using the Eclipse's Emulator, and I tried it, but the app didn't work properly!! I am confused right now; because I don't know whether the problem is that:
                       1) ArcGIS apps don't work on Emulator!
                       2) or My code is wrong!

Thanks.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JMontgomery
New Contributor
Hello everyone,

I am new to Eclipse. I am trying to learn it step by step. I am trying to create an ArcGIS app for Android using "Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers". I followed this tutorial  , and noticed this sentence: "Be sure to have an Android device connected to the machine. We do not support running in an Emulator."
My question is >>> How can I test my app? Is what have been mentioned is true?! I think that this tutorial is old because they are talking about old SDK version.
I thought about using the Eclipse's Emulator, and I tried it, but the app didn't work properly!! I am confused right now; because I don't know whether the problem is that:
                       1) ArcGIS apps don't work on Emulator!
                       2) or My code is wrong!

Thanks.

From what I understand - The emulator is no longer supported. I thought this would have been addressed by now. I agree. the lastthing you really want to do is compile an application and test on a device. Sketchy. Might need to use an older device for testing?
0 Kudos
deleted-user-ATjHIWsdQYmT
Occasional Contributor III
With the release of API v. 1.1 Emulators are now supported.  See this blog post:
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/05/02/arcgis-runtime-sdk-for-android-v1-1-supports-android-em...
0 Kudos
JoeHue
by
New Contributor II
With the release of API v. 1.1 Emulators are now supported.  See this blog post:
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/05/02/arcgis-runtime-sdk-for-android-v1-1-supports-android-em...

how about API v.2.0 ? Is it still support the emulators?
0 Kudos
DanO_Neill
Occasional Contributor III
Yes, the emulator is supported with the current v2.0 API.  The documentation will be updated to reflect the fact that you can either setup an emulator or use a physical device.  Thanks for pointing out the error in the documentation.
0 Kudos
JoeHue
by
New Contributor II
Yes, the emulator is supported with the current v2.0 API.  The documentation will be updated to reflect the fact that you can either setup an emulator or use a physical device.  Thanks for pointing out the error in the documentation.

Thanks. It's a good news for me.
0 Kudos
JoeHue
by
New Contributor II
My Laptop has Virtualization Support  but it still doesn't work...
My laptop use AMD E-300 proccessor...
Is there another suggestion to make it work?
0 Kudos