AnsweredAssumed Answered

Polyline Intersect Issues

Question asked by rockycove on Oct 15, 2012
Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 by rockycove
Hi all,

Let me quickly explain what I'm trying to do. I have two shapefile one is a polyline (Oil Pipeline) and other is polygons (land parcels), I need to calculate what the distance is when the pipeline enters the polygon and when it leave it. For example if I had 3 polygons A, B and C and the pipeline crossed each for exactly 2km, then the distance when it entered A would be 0km, when it left it would 2km, when it entered B it would be 2km and when it left it would be 4km and so on.

There are a couple of factors that complicate things, firstly in some instances the pipeline crosses a parcel multiple times all I'm interested in is when it firsts intersects the parcel and when it finally intersects the parcel. Secondly, I'm working in Canada where there a large areas of Unsurveyed Crown Land which belong either to provincial or federal government, this means there are large sections of the Pipeline where it does not cross any legal boundaries. Is there anyway of calculating the above without having to digitze in polygons for these unsurveyed areas?

My thoughts so far has been to intersect the two shapefiles, then dissolve them based on a unique idenfier and then sum up the lengths of the individual polyline segments. However this does not solve the issue of unsurveyed areas as it does not take them into account.

I'd really appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

Outcomes