Import 3D models error

10-12-2012 10:59 PM
LinaYatim
New Contributor
Hi all,

I'm new to CityEngine and I was asked to build a 3D model from a 3D data drawn in AutoCAD.
I tried to import points, lines, and polygons as a shapefile into CityEngine, but it didn't work. Sometimes it gives me an error saying that the file is unsupported, and sometimes it imports the data but nothing appears on the Scene. And also I recieved a message one time saying that the location is too far from the currunt scene's contents even though they are from the same file with the same coordinates.

Finaly I imported the polygon shapefile, but I need the other files to complete my task.

Please, can anyone help me with that?

Thank you!
LinaYat
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hey LinaYat !

Welcome to the Forum !!

First, I recommend the video tutorials and the written tutorials you can find here :
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/64843-CityEngine-Collection-RESOURCES-FAQ-HELP

You'll see how to import data into your scene and how to frame them in the view with the 'f' key. You'll hear my annoying voice .. 🙂

The message that data is too far from the origin means that you have some data in the origin and want to place more data very far away from that origin. This is prevented due to possible imprecisions.

Really start with a new scene, and try to preprocess all data so it just uses 1 projection for all data.

Let me know how you're starting off with CE.

Kind greetings !

matthias
BruceCuthbert1
New Contributor II
I am really interested in trying out cityengine for community planning. I see that you now have a video describing this. Excellent.

I have been trying to import dxf and dwg data to cityengine of Esquimalt, BC, Canada. I keep getting a geolocation error which states my data is outside the extents??
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

DWG is not supported in CE.

To prevent precision issues, CityEngine only allows datasets which are in a certain position, e.g. a city. If you have a city dataset in a specific projection in the scene and then e.g. want to add some data which is centered around the CARTESIAN origin, that new data is very far away from the dataset.

That is prevented by that error message. So you need to check that your dxf data is also geolocated, with approximately the same coordinate values as the rest of the scene.

Does this help ?
0 Kudos
BruceCuthbert1
New Contributor II
Not quite.  I am in Victoria BC.  I have set the Scene to WGS 1984 UTM Zone 10N.  My DXF files is also set to the same 48.4328, -123.3347   I keep getting the error message when trying to bring in the data.

I have put hours into trying to get this data loaded.  I don't want to give up, but ...  :confused:

Bruce
tc1@shaw.ca

any chance of a quick Skype call or google hangout to get this working?  I am Pacific time.

Hi !

DWG is not supported in CE.

To prevent precision issues, CityEngine only allows datasets which are in a certain position, e.g. a city. If you have a city dataset in a specific projection in the scene and then e.g. want to add some data which is centered around the CARTESIAN origin, that new data is very far away from the dataset.

That is prevented by that error message. So you need to check that your dxf data is also geolocated, with approximately the same coordinate values as the rest of the scene.

Does this help ?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi !

coordinates in dxf files are never interpreted as degrees, even though if you import them into a scene which has a defined projection.

if you have 48 / -123 degrees approximately, the effective cartesian coordinates you need are much bigger.

if you have any GIS data, you can check those values by selecting 1 shape vertex or graph node and then in the Inspector check the vertices tab for the xyz values. note that those values are always cartesian (xz horizontal) and yUp, not as in GIS where you have xy horizontal and zUp.

you will find large coordinates such as e.g. 300'000 / -850'000 or so. Thus, you have to move your dxf data to those coordinate positions in your CAD/drawing application.

Once your data is at the correct cartesian coordinates, on the CityEngine IMPORT (into the scene), those big values are reprojected using the projection and will land around 48/ -123.

I'm currently on holiday. If this helps ok, otherwise, we can check if we find a time to chat.

cheers !

matt
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
btw. you will also maybe find some more info on my tutorial videos on shape and street import:

vids 4 & 5 here:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/64843-CityEngine-Collection-RESOURCES-FAQ-HELP
0 Kudos