Problems create new site for ArcGIS Server 10.1 installation

10-11-2012 09:53 AM
EikoToguchi
New Contributor
I installed ArcGIS for Server 10.1 (uninstalled version 10 and installed) and tried to create new site after the installation with ArcGIS Server Manager that popped up.  I created primary site administrator account, specified root server directory and configuration store,  then clicked Finish button.  Error message was on Configuration Summary dialog box. "Failed to create the site.  Failed to create the folder 'System'.  Failed to clear REST cache onone or more server machines.  Please check the log for more details."  What is the cause of these problems and how do I solve these issues?
0 Kudos
21 Replies
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
Do you have an underscore ("_") in the hostname?  This can cause problems.  If so, try removing the underscore and try creating a Site again. Also check the log files, sometimes they help.
0 Kudos
EikoToguchi
New Contributor
Thank you for your suggestion.  I had a problem with underscore when I installed version 10.  So our host name has no underscore now.  log file - Do you mean ArcGIS Server's log file? Where does ArcGIS Server's log file locate?
0 Kudos
GarySperduto
New Contributor
I'm having the same problem. The server name does not have an underscore but the domain name does. Could this also be a problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.
0 Kudos
BobKilinski
New Contributor
Same problem here too. server name has an '-' in it. domain has an '_' in it. Error I receive is:

Failed to create the site. Failed to create the folder 'System'. Failed to clear REST cache on one or more server machines. Please check the log for more details.

Not sure where the log file is. Will post back with anything I find.
0 Kudos
BobKilinski
New Contributor
I did a little snooping and discovered that in my instance, the logs are located here:

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\usr\logs\<fully-qualified-hostname>\server

Your location may vary depending on where you installed the product.

My logs state the following error:

<Msg time="2012-10-24T08:41:33,546" type="WARNING" code="6695" source="Admin" process="4468" thread="1" methodName="" machine="<host_name>" user="" elapsed="">Failed to reinitialize REST handler. java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Host name may not be null
</Msg>

This leads me to believe that the problem resides in the fact that I have an "_" in the domain name, making it null. We are in the process of changing the domain name, but the final solution will not be fully implemented until next year sometime.

I hope this helps someone else out. If there is a known work-around, please post! I plan on contacting ESRI support this week and will post any different news.
0 Kudos
EikoToguchi
New Contributor
I am working with ESRI tech support but not fixed this problem yet.  But may be someone can fix with their suggested solutions.  Here are their suggestions:
1. remove underscore from hostname
2. use localhost for machine name when creating site.
3. make the ArcGIS account local and give it full control to the server directories

I tried all, but didn't work.
0 Kudos
BobKilinski
New Contributor

3. make the ArcGIS account local and give it full control to the server directories

I only installed this once (so I may not remember where it is,) but I do not remember an option to declare your own hostname or machine name.
0 Kudos
EikoToguchi
New Contributor
After installation, "Manager" webpage pops up (or you can do Desktop Start > All programs > ArcGIS > ArcGIS 10.1 for Server > Manager).  web address has "localhost", so I overwrited with my server name.  It didn't work and I got same error mesage.

After I read rkilinski's #6 thread, I checked the log file.  My log file said my machine name has underscore that I named originally.  Also I noticed a folder inside "logs" folder had original server name not current server name. 

ESRI suppoort asked me to uninstall ArcGIS Server and re-install it.  So after uninstalled the software, I checked the server name folder (it was still there) under "logs" folder, and I renamed to current server name.

I re-installed ArcGIS Server and tried to make new site but I got same error message again. I checked the server name folder under "logs" folder.  New folder with original server name (not current machine name) was created. So I was curious about registry.  In the registry, I found original server names in several locations.  I am suspicious that maybe one of registry is causing the problem.  I am waiting ESRI support reply.  I don't want touch registry without knowing exact cause.
0 Kudos
DawenXie
New Contributor III
Not sure whether you are installing on Linux or Windows. I was trying to install on Linux and ran into a problem regarding to permission for certain tmp directories: I used OS_account_1 to install 10.0; I uninstalled 10.0 and installed 10.1 using OS_account_2, but I could not create a new site. After I fixed the permission under tmp directories (for the ones owned by OS_account_1), I was able to create the site.

I am working with ESRI tech support but not fixed this problem yet.  But may be someone can fix with their suggested solutions.  Here are their suggestions:

I tried all, but didn't work.
0 Kudos