Doing Math On/In Dynamic Text

Jump to solution
10-11-2012 07:53 AM
David_van_Riel
New Contributor III
Hi All,

Is it posssible to perform any math on dynamic text? For example I have the area of a SDE park layer in SHAPE.AREA, but it is in m2 because the layer is in NAD_1983_UTM_Zone_17N. I want to show the area in hectares (m2 / 10000). How do I do this? Also, is it possible to add two (or more) fields together and display it in dynamic text?  Adding fields in a SDE layer everytime I want to do some math is not a feasible option. The labeling allows math to be done, but I want it in dynamic text where it doesn't cover the features in the map.

Thanks,
David
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
No. Dynamic Text provides many different formatting options for dates, times, coord systems, etc but it does not provide the logic to perform mathematical operations.

You would need to incorporate Python and then use arcpy.mapping to update text elements in a layout.

Jeff

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
No. Dynamic Text provides many different formatting options for dates, times, coord systems, etc but it does not provide the logic to perform mathematical operations.

You would need to incorporate Python and then use arcpy.mapping to update text elements in a layout.

Jeff
0 Kudos