access denied to directories

10-06-2012 12:47 PM
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor
When trying to access the server directories (arcgisoutput etc) via url, i'm getting a 403 access denied error and I'm not sure why.  The directories have the same permissions as they did in 10.0 and supposedly 10.1 took care of adding anything additional.  Any thoughts on what could be wrong?  Do I need a virtual directory?  If so, where?  The new structure, with the web adapter, is confusing so I'm not sure what else needs to be done.

I can access Rest and my application is fine....it just can't access the output created.

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
Try running Configure ArcGIS Server Account. It is sorta like the old post-install and sets permissions. Also check Server Manager > Site > Directories and make sure the directories are correct.
0 Kudos
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor
I tried running the Configure Server Account (I don't recall entering that info during installation so maybe that is the answer?) but it crashes every time I try to run it....the moment I click the "configure" button.

The directories listed in the Manager are correct.
0 Kudos
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
Wow! Never seen that. Maybe try running a repair. Control Panel, Programs Uninstall a program. Choose Repair option.
0 Kudos
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor
I did end up getting the post install to work after reinstalling the web adapter, but that didn't help.

I've been on the phone with esri all day today, with 4 different departments, and things have actually gotten worse instead of better.

The one positive is that once we created a 2nd instance of the web adapter, I was able to reach the directories...however...

Now all my data is supposedly "invalid" even though nothing changed with my map service or data since it was last working (this morning).

I tried telling myself that 10.1 was a bad idea but I went and did it anyway.
0 Kudos
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor
Just in case this helps someone else at some point...

I'm still working with tech support to find out why this is happening (had over 10 hours on the phone with them so far) and what issues this workaround may cause.....but what we did was create a 2nd instance of the web adapter.  The 2nd adapter didn't have the same issue with the server directories that they 1st one did for some reason.  So i then pointed my url's to the 2nd adapter and all seems to be well so far.  For example, http://.....com/arcgis1/rest/services/  instead of http:/....com/arcgis/rest/services/

The 2 seem to function side by side, accessing the same info.  We'll see if there turn out to be any negatives.
0 Kudos