Missing Feature Templates

Jump to solution
10-03-2012 08:10 AM
RhiaR
by
New Contributor
I have been making a series of maps in which I typically reuse the previous map, update data to the new area and re-save under a new name. Up until a day ago this method worked fine (for over 20 maps).  Now I'm having issues where the feature templates are missing when I go to edit some point features. 
The create features window states 'There are no templates to show.'
When I go into the Organize Features window my template is there - I've checked the templates; copied them; deleted and recreated new templates.  I've tried turning my editing session on and off and even closing the map and re-opening it. Still the Create Features window states there are no templates.
I'm working with Arc 10 btw.

Anyone else have this issue ; suggestions to resolve it??

At the moment I'm having to recreate each new map from scratch - big pain and time consuming.

Cheers,
R
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhondaGlennon
Occasional Contributor III
Maybe see if this topic helps:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Best_practices_for_using_feature_templates/01m700000...

From the section, "Reasons why some feature templates are not displayed in the Create Features window":

• The layer is not visible. You need to turn on the layer in the table of contents.

• The layer is part of a group layer that is not visible. You need to turn on the group layer in the table of contents and ensure the sublayer is visible.

• The layer has a visible scale range that is beyond the map's current scale. Right-click the layer in the table of contents and click Zoom To Make Visible to bring the layer into view. You can update or remove the scale range on the General tab of the Layer Properties dialog box.

• The layer is from a parcel fabric dataset. You use the Parcel Editor toolbar to create new parcels rather than the Create Features window.

• The layer has a definition query applied, but the feature templates do not match it. You need to open the feature template's properties and set a default attribute value that satisfies the query. You can update or remove the expression on the Definition Query tab of the Layer Properties dialog box.

In ArcGIS 10.1, there is a message that appears on the Create Features window with more information about why a particular feature template is hidden. In ArcGIS 10.0, there is no message, but these reasons apply there as well.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JimFritz
Occasional Contributor
I'm also experiencing the same issue.  The feature template does not show up.  Is it time to call tech support?

Jim
0 Kudos
Tanu1
by
New Contributor

I am not able to bulk updating the fields in feature template..If I tried to update any field from null to any other value i.e 1 then it is changing the "different values" to null for other fields..

0 Kudos
RhondaGlennon
Occasional Contributor III
Maybe see if this topic helps:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Best_practices_for_using_feature_templates/01m700000...

From the section, "Reasons why some feature templates are not displayed in the Create Features window":

• The layer is not visible. You need to turn on the layer in the table of contents.

• The layer is part of a group layer that is not visible. You need to turn on the group layer in the table of contents and ensure the sublayer is visible.

• The layer has a visible scale range that is beyond the map's current scale. Right-click the layer in the table of contents and click Zoom To Make Visible to bring the layer into view. You can update or remove the scale range on the General tab of the Layer Properties dialog box.

• The layer is from a parcel fabric dataset. You use the Parcel Editor toolbar to create new parcels rather than the Create Features window.

• The layer has a definition query applied, but the feature templates do not match it. You need to open the feature template's properties and set a default attribute value that satisfies the query. You can update or remove the expression on the Definition Query tab of the Layer Properties dialog box.

In ArcGIS 10.1, there is a message that appears on the Create Features window with more information about why a particular feature template is hidden. In ArcGIS 10.0, there is no message, but these reasons apply there as well.
MikeMellin
New Contributor II
Or...

Write access has not been granted to the geodatabase that contains the feature classes in need of editing.

If working with an SDE Feature Class, it may need to be Registered as Versioned.
0 Kudos