Merge Features by Attributes

10-01-2012 10:31 PM
DarrochKaye
Occasional Contributor
Hi folks,

I have a feature class with multiple items per location in a distinct field, e.g. suburb. I'm looking to automate the merge process of selecting all features based on a unique attribute in a field, merge these shapes, then move onto the next unique location, until the end of the file has been reached.

In ModelBuilder I imagine I need to use an iterator of some sort, but I can't figure out which one to use.

Thanks for your help.

DK
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
Some thought:
1. Iterate location features with Iterate Feature Selection
2. Select items to merge within iterated location using Select Features by Location.
3. Merge selected items within location using Dissolve tool where you can specify a field on which dissolve is based.
0 Kudos
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
The 'Dissolve' tool, if I correctly understand the problem, will take care of this.  You can check 'on' multiple fields to dissolve by, say suburb and some other 'unique location' field if necessary.  I would think you can do this within 1 fc, but for example if working with an fc and table where the table contains the values to dissolve by, then set up your looping mechanism within modelbuilder as m.gasior suggests.
0 Kudos