Trouble starting version 2012

09-29-2012 02:21 AM
GünterDörffel
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,
I have just tried to run CE 2012 on a machine that 2011 ran on without any problems. I completely uninstalled 2011. 2012 will show the start screen, ask for the workspace and then freeze - no matter wether in safe mode or normal, as administrator, ... any clues? Anyone experiencing the same behaviour?

Regards
Guenter
0 Kudos
13 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Guenther !

Written you a mail ..
0 Kudos
GünterDörffel
Hi back,
after some tests it seems apparent that the reason is a failing attempt of CityEngine to connect to the Internet trough a proxy configuration it does not know yet.

Workaround:

• Start CityEngine while without any network connection

• Make sure the conncetion can be made without proxy

You can set the proxy in CityEngine once you got it started - though this didnt help in my case.

Regards
Guenter
0 Kudos
JasonBalmut
I'm going to continue on this thread because the title matched my initial search.

When I try to start CityEngine 2012.1 I get an error message regarding the license file.  We're using a concurrent license and have already gone through the authorization process prior to installation.  ArcGIS Administrator shows 2 CityEngine Advanced licenses available.  The attached screenshot is what I see each time the program is started.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

1]
Make sure you add the default port (27000) to your license server address:

27000@myLicenseServer.com

2]
Check the content of the 'esriLicense.config' file. It's located in your user account.

3]
When closing ArcGISAdministrator, make sure the Advanced Concurrent licensing type button is active. Each time you click one of these buttons a new 'esriLicense.config' is written. Thus if you close the tool with the wrong licensing type, it won't work.

Let me know ..

Matt
0 Kudos
MattFesta
New Contributor
Hello, I am having what is probably the same problem as the OP.  I install/authorize fine, but when I go to launch the product, I hang at the splash screen.  At first I thought that CityEngine had crashed, but I left the software running in the background and it did eventually start up.  However, it literally took 15 minutes or more, so it is understandable that other people would believe the product had crashed or was otherwise not operating correctly and would have killed the process.

I am running the very latest version (2012.1 120913R) and have verified that I meet the hardware and software requirements.  My license is a CityEngine Advanced Single Use and I am in a corporate environment (behind firewalls, etc.), so I'm wondering if this is the same issue being reported by the other users in this thread.

Technically, I can still use the software once I've waited out the splash screen, but clearly this is not the intended functionality and is quite cumbersome.  It sounds like the problem is probably related to the license/authorization process - what do I need to do to resolve this? 

Thanks for your help.

M
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

In the CityEngine.ini file which you find in the program's directory, add the following line in a text editor:
-Dagol

This should ignore any ArcGIS Online timeout and start CE immediately, though the AGOL features will be deactivated that way.
0 Kudos
MattFesta
New Contributor
Hi !

In the CityEngine.ini file which you find in the program's directory, add the following line in a text editor:
-Dagol

This should ignore any ArcGIS Online timeout and start CE immediately, though the AGOL features will be deactivated that way.

Worked perfectly!  🙂   Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
ziadfilfili
New Contributor II
hello Matt,

I have the same problem concerning 2012.1 
where can I find the CityEngine.ini exactly ? Because i tried changing the City engine Configuration file, but still nothing changed.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi !

it's where the CityEngine application is installed. application folder.

on windows usually:
C:\Program Files\Esri\CityEngine

Ok ?

(let me know if you're not on windows.)

matt
0 Kudos