Mixed Data Stores

09-28-2012 12:54 PM
StevenGriffith
New Contributor III
I'm getting the following error when trying to publish a service to a 10.1 server:

"Invalid service definition. Cannot have "mixed" data stores with a feature or geocode service."

The service I'm trying to publish has one feature data set with two layers, both are from the same geodatabase. (SQL Server)

Any idea of what ArcMap could be complaining about??

Steve G.
County of SLO
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
ScottBailey
New Contributor II
Do you ever solve this I am having the same problem but I only have feature class so I don't see how it is considered "mixed" Dataset.
0 Kudos
JeffSmith
Esri Contributor
Is the data in your feature class from a version 9.3.1 SDE geodatabase?  There was a known issue creating a 10.1 feature service against 9.3.1 data that may have produced a similar error message to what you are seeing.  This was fixed in 10.1 SP1.
0 Kudos
MarkHoover
Occasional Contributor II
I am at Service Pack 1 and the data is from a 10.1 SDE geodatabase, but I am seeing this same error message.  All of the datasets (in my case 4) are from the same SQL Server and same database.  A truly perplexing error, at least in terms of the error message generated.

One thing to note is that this service features a standalone table and a join, but I have published other services with both of these special attributes without issue.
0 Kudos
JeffSmith
Esri Contributor
You might try exporting the data you want to use in your feature service to a fgdb and then importing it back to your SDE gdb (perhaps in a new feature class or table).  I'm not sure exactly what ArcGIS Server uses to analyze the data prior to allowing you to enable feature access but I have seen instances where this procedure "cleans" the data so it is not viewed as being from mixed data stores.
0 Kudos
JayBoyd
New Contributor II

I received the Cannot have "mixed" data stores with a feature or geocode service message today when I tried to publish a 10.2.2 feature service with data updates enabled. My map document only has one layer and that layer's data source is an ArcSDE Enterprise Geodatabase. I found that the issue was an image element that was added to the layout to display a logo on printed maps. ArcMap must package up the image and upload it to the server just as it would any layer source data that is not registered with the server. Once I deleted the image element from the layout I was able to publish my feature service.

Jay

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jay, thanks for posting this comment.  I just experienced the same error today, running 10.2.2.  I never would have guessed to delete the image elements in the layout window, but after I did this, it published successfully!

Brendan

0 Kudos
EvanJohnson
New Contributor II

You are the man Jay. This has been perplexing me so much over the last week...

0 Kudos
TrevorBurgan
New Contributor II

Yep, this was exactly my problem too.  I would never of guessed that the images in the Layout window would cause this!

0 Kudos
PaulMaddock1
New Contributor

Jay,

How did you discover the solution to this problem?  I scoured through the documentation on Feature Services and couldn't find the answer.

Thanks for posting this solution.

0 Kudos