Web Application is slooooooow... Any ideas?

Jump to solution
09-28-2012 06:02 AM
KimSchubin
New Contributor III
I have successfully published a web map from ArcGIS Server 10.1 previously. Lately it has been running really slow. I am running it on my local server. Single machine set up.  The actual .mxd is a bit slow, but not terrible. I ran an analysis on it and there was only one warning concerning some layers not having a spatial index. I've registered the SQL server database. Any ideas? Any solutions?

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KimSchubin
New Contributor III
Hello,
I just wanted to let anyone know that happens upon this thread that I tried simplifying the polygons and that worked! It greatly improved the performance of the .mxd AND Web Application! So, if you are not so much worried about precise shapes, simplifying some of the polygon shapefiles can improve processs time!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
deleted-user-ATjHIWsdQYmT
Occasional Contributor III
Try publishing as an MSD, not an MXD.  Also, Create a Tiled Map Service.  You will notice a sizable performance difference.
0 Kudos
KimSchubin
New Contributor III
Thank you for the suggestions! I have done the "Share as Service" route and that didn't help, but I will attempt to tile the map as you suggested. Thanks again!
0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson
There are several threads in this forum regarding map service performance issues.  Have a look through those as well.
-r
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Raul,

I would build spatial indexes for the layers in the map doc that were flagged in the analyze operation before you published the map. Also, please review this help topic:

An overview of designing maps for optimal performance

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
KimSchubin
New Contributor III
Hi Derek,
Thank you! I did try to add a spatial index and I got an error about locked schemas? Have you seen that before? Also, I just put another thread up. I was wondering if simplifying or smoothing two of my large polygon shapfiles would help with performance?

Thanks again, Derek!
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Raul,

... I did try to add a spatial index and I got an error about locked schemas? Have you seen that before?

Please see this help topic: Schema locking

... I was wondering if simplifying or smoothing two of my large polygon shapfiles would help with performance?

Maybe. I would try some of the performance optimization tips in the help topic I mentioned in my previous post.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
KimSchubin
New Contributor III
Hello,
I just wanted to let anyone know that happens upon this thread that I tried simplifying the polygons and that worked! It greatly improved the performance of the .mxd AND Web Application! So, if you are not so much worried about precise shapes, simplifying some of the polygon shapefiles can improve processs time!

Thanks!
0 Kudos
deleted-user-ATjHIWsdQYmT
Hello,

Thanks!

Are you using a FeatureService in your web app?  If so, you can simplify your Polygon layer by using ArcGIS Server's GeometryService.  This way you don't have to modify your actual source data.  Instead, you can let AGS do the heavy lifting and simplify it for you before sending it to the client.

See:
Javacript:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/help/jsapi_start.htm#jsapi/geometryservice.htm#si...

Silverlight:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/silverlight-api/apiref/ESRI.ArcGIS.Client~ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.Tas...

Flex:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/flex-api/samples/#/Simplify_geometries/01nq00000063000000
0 Kudos
KimSchubin
New Contributor III
Thanks Andrew! Good to know! I will also ty that route!

Thanks again!
0 Kudos