ArcGIS Server cluster not able to start published services

09-28-2012 04:55 AM
BrianGreen
New Contributor II
We have a setup of two ArcGIS 10.1 servers connected to a WebLogic server acting as the cluster manager.  When I restart the ArcGIS servers, developers are unable to start their published apps.  Looking in the logs, I see a message "Failed to synchronize machine 'HOSTNAME' with the site.  /arcgis/server/framework/ejbs/USERNAME/MapName.Recycling (is a directory)"  where both HOSTNAME and USERNAME are the values for here.  When we saw this we tried deleting the service - but it moved on to another one.  It seems like they are going to ALL give the same message, one at a time.

Has anyone seen this - is there a way to clear it without having to rebuild the servers?

Thanks,

Brian
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrianGreen
New Contributor II
More information - there are three messages I see, and they repeat every minute.  First there are 2 SEVEREs - "Failed to stop the server machine 'HOSTNAME'. /arcgis/server/framework/runtime/ejbs/USERNAME/MapService.Recycling (Is a directory)" and "Failed to synchronize machine 'HOSTNAME' with the site. /arcgis/server/framework/runtime/ejbs/USERNAME/MapService.Recycling (Is a directory)".  Then there is a WARNING - "An error was encountered while synchronizing with the config store. Failed to synchronize machine 'HOSTNAME' with the site. /arcgis/server/framework/runtime/ejbs/USERNAME/MapService.Recycling (Is a directory)"

I tried resetting both machines in the ArcGIS cluster - no help.
0 Kudos
JasonNewmoyer
New Contributor II
Ever figure out what was causing this? Running into the same problem...
0 Kudos
GovindarajanThillaividankan
New Contributor II
Hi
I am also facing the same problem. Can you please let me know how you approached this problem?
It seems running Configure ArcGIS Server  Utility is one option. Havent tried it yet.

Regards

Govind
0 Kudos
alex_friant
Occasional Contributor II
I figured out how to solve a very similar issue.  I was getting error log messages like "Failed to synchronize machine 'null' with the site."

To fix it, one-by-one I removed each single server from the ArcGIS server site and then reregistered it back to the site.  The steps:
* I would remove one server from the site
* restart the ArcGIS Server service from inside the Window's Services panel in that server
* then register the server I just removed back to the ArcGIS Server site.

If the server is part of a cluster, I add it to the cluster, then start it as an ArcGIS "machine".

After that, the "Failed to synchronize" message stopped appearing.
0 Kudos
soniadickerson1
Occasional Contributor

We had a similar situation too in version 10.31.  Three errors would generate every minute

• Failed to stop the server machine
  • Failed to synchronize machine
  • An error was encountered while synchronizing with the config store

Our solution was similar to Alex, except we were unable to remove the server from the site so we did the following:

Using the admin utility, unregister the problem server

On the problem server bring up services and restart the ArcGIS server service

Using arcgis manager, add it as a machine - it took about 5-6 minutes to process and it added it as a machine and to the cluster

0 Kudos