what is the correct way to clear the features when using a deferred method on popups

Jump to solution
09-26-2012 07:05 AM
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor
I have a project which is just shaded counties indicating where events are scheduled.  I have a column "scheduledEvent" in my data I'm populating elsewhere.  There is a hyperlink to a web page where there is an event.

I wanted to show a different popup if the user clicked a nonshaded county.  My code checks to see the value of ScheduledEvent in an If statement.

I thought I was done, but then I realized if I clicked a county a 2nd time, instead of getting the "Sorry no events" infoWindow, it reverts back to the other infoTemplate, which shows the county name and hyperlink instead.

I tried adding a popup.clearFeatures() at the start of the OnClick function, but it still seems to be remembering my previous "click". 

What is the proper way to completely remove my selected features. Set my deferred variable to null?

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">  <html>    <head>      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>      <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7,IE=9" />      <!--The viewport meta tag is used to improve the presentation and behavior of the samples         on iOS devices-->      <meta name="viewport" content="initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1,user-scalable=no"/>      <title>Rural Health Day Events</title>      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://serverapi.arcgisonline.com/jsapi/arcgis/3.2/js/dojo/dijit/themes/claro/claro.css">      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://serverapi.arcgisonline.com/jsapi/arcgis/3.2/js/esri/css/esri.css">     <link rel="stylesheet" type='text/css' href='http://serverapi.arcgisonline.com/jsapi/arcgis/3.2/js/esri/dijit/css/Popup.css'/>            <style type="text/css">        html, body { height: 100%; width: 100%; margin: 0; padding: 0; }               #map{          padding:0;        }          </style>       <script type="text/javascript">var dojoConfig = {parseOnLoad: true};</script>      <script type="text/javascript" src="http://serverapi.arcgisonline.com/jsapi/arcgis/?v=3.2"></script>           <script type="text/javascript" language="Javascript">           dojo.require("esri.map");        dojo.require("esri.layers.FeatureLayer");        dojo.require("esri.dijit.InfoWindow");        dojo.require("esri.dijit.Popup");         var map;        var pathName = "http://gis.dhss.mo.gov/arcgis/rest/services";       var countyFeatureLayer;       var featureInfoTemplate;        var noEventTemplate;                 function init() {          var popup = new esri.dijit.Popup({          fillSymbol: new esri.symbol.SimpleFillSymbol(esri.symbol.SimpleFillSymbol.STYLE_NULL,            new esri.symbol.SimpleLineSymbol(esri.symbol.SimpleLineSymbol.STYLE_SOLID, new dojo.Color([255,255,0]), 3), new dojo.Color([255,255,0,0.35]))          }, dojo.create("div"));                   var spatialReference = new esri.SpatialReference({wkid: 102100 });         startExtent = new esri.geometry.Extent(-10583000, 4287025, -9979000, 4980462, spatialReference);          map = new esri.Map("mapDiv", {extent: startExtent , logo:false, infoWindow:popup  });      dojo.connect(map,"onClick",function(evt){      popup.clearFeatures();           var query = new esri.tasks.Query();            query.geometry = pointToExtent(map,evt.mapPoint,5);                   var deferred = countyFeatureLayer.selectFeatures(query, esri.layers.FeatureLayer.SELECTION_NEW, function (selection) {             var eventStatus = selection[0].attributes['ScheduledEvent'];             if (eventStatus == "No") {                 map.infoWindow.setTitle("Sorry");                  map.infoWindow.setContent("No Events Scheduled");                     map.infoWindow.show(evt.mapPoint);                                         }else {                 map.infoWindow.setFeatures([deferred]);                   map.infoWindow.show(evt.mapPoint);             }           });         });       dojo.connect(popup,"onHide",function(){     popup.clearFeatures();   });     var countyLayer = new esri.layers.ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer(pathName+"/RuralHealthDayEvents/MapServer",{id:'events'});   map.addLayer(countyLayer);         featureInfoTemplate = new esri.InfoTemplate( "Events", "<b>${NAME}</b><br/><a href= ${pageLink} target=_blank ;'>See Rural Health Day Events for ${NAME} County</a>");          countyFeatureLayer = new esri.layers.FeatureLayer(pathName+"/RuralHealthDayEvents/MapServer/0", {            mode: esri.layers.FeatureLayer.MODE_SELECTION,            outFields: ["NAME", "ScheduledEvent", "PageLink"] ,           infoTemplate: featureInfoTemplate                  });                          map.addLayer(countyFeatureLayer);                dojo.connect(map, 'onLoad', function(theMap) {            //resize the map when the browser resizes           dojo.connect(dijit.byId('map'), 'resize', map,map.resize);          });        }              function pointToExtent(map, point, toleranceInPixel) {         var pixelWidth = map.extent.getWidth() / map.width;         var toleraceInMapCoords = toleranceInPixel * pixelWidth;         return new esri.geometry.Extent( point.x - toleraceInMapCoords,                      point.y - toleraceInMapCoords,                      point.x + toleraceInMapCoords,                      point.y + toleraceInMapCoords,                      map.spatialReference );                                   }               dojo.addOnLoad(init);      </script>    </head>    <body class="claro">     Click a shaded county to get information on their Rural Health Day event.     <div id="mapDiv" style="width:900px; height:600px; border:1px solid #000;"></div>    </body>  </html>    
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor
That's exactly what I ended up doing, but for a different reason. I was asked to make the web page automatically open on click, rather than first opening the infoWindow.  That meant the infoTemplate was never needed, so I took the reference out,which took care of my original problem.

Round about way to get there.  I suspect I'm having a very similar problem with an identify task that isn't doing its identify in the place I click.  It is consistently doing the identify a couple of counties south of the original user click.  It's not really related to this thread, but I think I"m having the same problem understanding how deferred call back function really work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
derekswingley1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Tracy,

There are two onClick events firing:  one from your map and another from your feature layer.

Since your feature layer is set up with an info template, when a feature from that feature layer is clicked, that info template is used to display info in the popup. This is the default behavior for both feature layers and graphics layers.

It's not that your map is "remembering" some previous selection, it's that when you click initially, there are no features in the feature layer and the click is handled by your map's onClick event listener. When you click a county that has been added to the feature layer, the feature layer's onClick handler kicks in and displays the feature's attributes using the infoTemplate you specified when you created the feature layer.

If this is the app in its final state, the easy fix is to remove the infoTemplate from the countyFeatureLayer constructor.
0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor
That's exactly what I ended up doing, but for a different reason. I was asked to make the web page automatically open on click, rather than first opening the infoWindow.  That meant the infoTemplate was never needed, so I took the reference out,which took care of my original problem.

Round about way to get there.  I suspect I'm having a very similar problem with an identify task that isn't doing its identify in the place I click.  It is consistently doing the identify a couple of counties south of the original user click.  It's not really related to this thread, but I think I"m having the same problem understanding how deferred call back function really work.
0 Kudos