Feature Class does not show in catalog tree after import

09-24-2012 05:24 AM
MarilynGambone
New Contributor
I'm trying to import a feature class into a file geodatabase's feature dataset.  It imports successfully (at least that's what the pop-up dialog says in ArcCatalog 10).  But I can't find the feature class in the catalog tree.  I tried re-importing but it keeps saying the feature class already exists.  I've been doing this for days now and I can't understand why this particular feature class failed to show up in the catalog tree. 

Any idea what's causing this? 

Appreciate any help.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
I assume you've closed the program and right clicked and refreshed the file geodatabase?  Can you export into a new file geodatabase and feature dataset?
0 Kudos
MarilynGambone
New Contributor
I assume you've closed the program and right clicked and refreshed the file geodatabase?  Can you export into a new file geodatabase and feature dataset?

Hi,

Yes. I did that. I also refreshed ArcCatalog cache.  I also tried deleting the feature class (by manually entering the address/feature class name) and re-importing it back into the feature dataset.  It WILL processs; never shows any error.  But it just doesn't display in the catalog tree. 

I even viewed it using system's folder (not ArcCatalog; to see if the feature class was actually created as the tool said it was).  And correctly, enough, the file is there (I have to keep ArcCatalog open and click on feature classes to view the "lock file" in System's folder to do this). 

I tried importing the feature class using my desktop (Windows XP) and my server (Windows Server 2008 R2).  And this particular feature class behaves in the same abnormal way.  All the others are behaving as they should after importing.
0 Kudos
MarilynGambone
New Contributor

Hi,

I just tried what you suggested:  export into a new file geodatabase and feature dataset.  Since I can't see the feature class in the catalog tree, I used FeatureClassToFeatureClass tool and typed in the address of the feature class.  The tool ran without error; but again, I can't see the feature class in the new file geodatabase.  I made sure they all have the same projections.
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Are you exporting from a feature class in a different geodatabase?  Can you create a new geodatabase and feature class, and instead of importing the one that doesn't show up, can you export the original feature class into the new file geodatabase and feature dataset?  What service pack are you on for 10.0?
0 Kudos
MarilynGambone
New Contributor
Are you exporting from a feature class in a different geodatabase?  Can you create a new geodatabase and feature class, and instead of importing the one that doesn't show up, can you export the original feature class into the new file geodatabase and feature dataset?  What service pack are you on for 10.0?

1.  Are you exporting from a feature class in a different geodatabase?  YES.

2.  Can you create a new geodatabase and feature class, and instead of importing the one that doesn't show up, can you export the original feature class into the new file geodatabase and feature dataset?   YES.

3.  What service pack are you on for 10.0? No service pack upgrade.
0 Kudos