Projection for the NE Atlantic?

09-18-2012 05:48 AM
FionnFarrell
New Contributor
I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions to my problem. I'm looking to find a single conformal projection that spans from UTM 27N to UTM 30N and between parallels 50.2 and 58.5 (roughly south of Iceland to Scotland). I'm trying to merge a number of bathymetry rasters in order to extrapolate data/derive layers (inc., slope, aspect, curvature, rugosity, bathymetric position index (BPI)) with minimal distortion.

All help and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Fionn
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi Fionn,

I don't know of anything off-hand. There are some sea ice and other coordinate systems from NSIDC (EASE), but nothing that jumps out. Most are also equal area, not conformal. You may want to create a custom coordinate system using Lambert conformal conic. One rule of thumb for choosing the standard parallels is to set them at 1/6 and 5/6 of the north-south extent.

Melita
0 Kudos
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Fionn,

Have you had a look at http://www.georepository.com ?

This is quite a good site to find out the CRS of a given area. For the area you describe I found the following possible projection:

North Pole Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area (Europe) with WGS84 / North Pole LAEA Europe as an applicable CRS. I believe this is a valid projection for the world at latitudes of 45 degrees and above.

Simon
0 Kudos