juhunter

Query Database Data (Not Published on a Map)

Discussion created by juhunter on Sep 9, 2012
Hey all,

I'm in the process of upgrading our current ArcGIS from 9.2 to 10.1. I'll be the first to admit that a lot of this is over my head, I'm a software engineer, and getting this task dumped on my has been overwhelming.

Our current implementation has a way to query our database directly without having a layer published in a map. I have been unable to figure out how this has been accomplished, but I'd also like to have this feature. The reasoning for this is we have multiple environments (test/training/production), but all those environment are held in one database on the same server, just spread across tables <table_(TEST|TRNG|PROD)>. It may sound odd, but it's only two tables out of our entire database that are different, so instead of us duplicating all the data we just hold that small bit in different tables.

With that said, I'm hoping someone can point me in the proper direction to be able to query the database directly. As it stands, I have to point a layer to a database table on a map, and publish it. Then any changes made in the database are automatically displayed on the map.

I will also need insert/update capabilities through my C# code for these specific database tables.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks so much.

Outcomes