Slow performance administering services in ArcCatalog and ArcGIS Server Manager 10.1

09-06-2012 02:54 PM
BrettElliot
New Contributor III
Hi everyone,

Recently we have been having issues with access the map services in ArcCatalog.  After trying to recreate the error on a test machine, we narrowed down part of it to having the Configuration Store set to a network drive as opposed to C:/.

Originally, we had set the configuration store to a network drive because "the location must be accessible to all machines that are registered to the site".

We shared the C:\arcgisserver\config-store across the network so that all machines could access it instead.

Since changing this setting, the response time is much much faster than it was before.  It used to take ~30 seconds to pull up the 'right click' menu in ArcCatalog, or view the services directory in ArcGIS Server Manager.

If anyone else is having similar issues, I hope this can help.

Any insight to why this would cause everything to slow down would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
44 Replies
JustinGreco
Occasional Contributor
Same thing was happening for me, I had switched it from local to a network share in order to add additional servers to the site.  I experienced the same issues in Catalog and manager.  Switching it back to local sped everything back up like you had said.
0 Kudos
BrettElliot
New Contributor III
Good to hear its not just us. 

We had it as a UNC path so our caching machine could see it.  We are now just trying to figure out if it's a network problem causing this slowdown, or if it is an ArcServer problem.

Cheers,

Brett
0 Kudos
JustinGreco
Occasional Contributor
I just got off the phone with tech support and they did not know what is causing the issue.  I am thinking it could be something with the network.
0 Kudos
karldailey
New Contributor
i have found the interface in all forms to be extremely slow, and although I only just begun looking at 10.1, I really dislike it.  it takes several minutes just to publish one map.  I like to put my maps on one drive and cache filed on another drive.  That helped alleviate disk IO bottlenecks, but now it seems to force them onto the same disk.  has anyone noticed this?  Overall, I will not be upgrading from 10 to 10.1.
0 Kudos
JustinGreco
Occasional Contributor
You can put your cache on a separate drive.  Just got to the Site tab, the Directories, and you can edit the cache directory or add another cache directory. 

The only slow experience I have had with 10.1 is with what I described below, setting the config-store to a network share.
0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III
In my case the slow performance was Windows Server 2008 related.  I upgraded it to "R2" and performance is great now.
0 Kudos
BrettElliot
New Contributor III
Good to know Royce,

We are currently working with ESRI Tech support to find out a solution.  There is a possibility it is our server / network set-up.  I'll make sure to update this post when we find out what is happening.
0 Kudos
JacobRaymond
New Contributor III
Just to follow up this is apparently a known issue that will be addressed in SP1 (Bug# NIM085259).  It turns out that this is an issue that gets noticeably worse with the more services you have.  We had Around 100 services running so it was getting quite unbearable but we will store the config_store folder on the C:\ drive until this issue is resolved.
0 Kudos
JacobRaymond
New Contributor III
I have been experiencing the same issue. However it does not look like it will be resolved in Service Pack 1. I looked at the list of things that will be resolved and did not find any mention of Bug# NIM 085259.

Ref: http://downloads.esri.com/support/downloads/other_/189810.1_SP1_Announcement.pdf

To me, if we cannot administer the site properly we cannot move to 10.1. In fact I am concerned how everyone else is accomplishing this with the problems being faced in administering the site when multiple machines are added to a cluster with a shared drive (i.e. the suggested method in the help documents).

Thanks

Neeraj

This is a copy of the bug report that was sent to me by ESRI Canada tech support.  It claims that it is fixed at SP1.  I guess we will see, if SP1 ever gets released.

---

Synopsis
The time required to get permissions for a service increases as the number of services in the ArcGIS Server site increases on a shared config store.
Problem Description
The following has been tested with the default permissions on the services in the site i.e esriEveryone has been given access to all the services in the site except the System folder.

services//permissions returns in under a second with about 20 services spread in multiple folders.

As you increase the number of services, accessing the permissions resource on a service increases as well. With about 140 services, the accessing of the permissions takes 6 to 7 seconds.

This issue is reproducible only when the config store is on a UNC. If it is a local path, it does not happen.

Status Resolved

SP Fixed 10.1SP1
0 Kudos