10.1 Memory Issues

09-05-2012 04:35 AM
JustinGreco
Occasional Contributor
I have installed 10.1 onto a new server and have been experiencing issues with memory usage.  Our current 10 installation of ArcGIS Server utilizes about 12 MB of memory, while 10.1 is utilizing about twice the amount of memory with less services running than on our 10 server.  Also the javaw.exe process grows to over 2,000,000 K.  Has anyone else had issues like this with 10.1?  Tech support did not seem aware of this issue.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
51 Replies
KevinGooss
Occasional Contributor
i have two javaw.exe processes - one is at 191 and the other is at 278,000K.
I also have 14 ArcSOC.exe processes at the moment, each of those is about 100,000K average.
This is a new box and if we add map services at the rate we normally do we are quickly going to be out of memory.
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think one of the javaw.exe is for logging.
Do you have logging set to a high level? If you set it back to a low level (like SEVERE), and re-start ArcGIS Server, it shouldnt be as active.
0 Kudos
JustinGreco
Occasional Contributor
Kevin,

I have the log level set at warning and just switched it to severe, but the javaw is still using over 1,000,000 KB.  The other issue is the amount of memory ArcGIS Server is using at 10.1, almost twice was much as 10.  Is that to be expected at 10.1?  I also notice that when I stop the ArcGIS Server service, the memory usage does not drop at all.
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
If you've stopped and re-started the ArcGISServer service in the Services panel, and memory didnt change, then the process sounds either hung or orphaned.
When you restart they should all disappear and then come back fresh.

After re-starting my server I have:

• 2 javaw.exe

• 1 arcgisserver.exe

• X # of ArcSOC.exe

I'd expect you to have something similar.

I cant give you a yes/no answer on how much memory should be used. I don't concentrate on the core architecture and wouldnt want to give you a wrong answer.
Just my impression though, 1 gig (1,000,000KB) sounds high for the javaw.exe process, but without knowing exactly what your server is doing, # of requests, # of services, etc - its hard to say if thats a problem. The biggest change which I'm sure you're aware of is 10.1 being 64bit, so each process can potentially consume more memory than 10.0 -32bit server.

Just a tip, which may or may not be useful in this situation:
If you goto Task Manager, and under VIEW > Select Columns.
Turn on "Command Line".
In the processes tab you can then see in for each ArcSOC.exe process which service it is running.
The name will be found  at DService = "...."
This might be useful in helping to identify which services require more memory than others and planning deployment.
0 Kudos
JustinGreco
Occasional Contributor
Turns out it wasn't an ArcGIS Server issue, but a setting that needed to be changed in our VM software after increasing the amount of RAM.
0 Kudos
ChrisOrpurt
New Contributor
Turns out it wasn't an ArcGIS Server issue, but a setting that needed to be changed in our VM software after increasing the amount of RAM.

Can you post what that setting was?
0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III
I'm having similar memory problems with a new install of Server 10.1 - any idea what VM setting you changed?
0 Kudos
GeraldLee__GISP
Occasional Contributor
Count me in with this same issue--my 10.1 memory usage is about 2x as same 10.0 services, stopping services doesnt seem to relieve CPU, etc..i also am using VMware..on windows server 2008 R2. My IT said i must be hallucinating...glad to know its not just me.. 🙂
EricKriener
Occasional Contributor
I'm having similar memory problems with a new install of Server 10.1 - any idea what VM setting you changed?

I'm going to wake this thread up.

Anybody know what the VM setting to change is?
0 Kudos