AnsweredAssumed Answered

Styles applied to multiple layers at once

Question asked by 8556732 on Sep 3, 2012
Latest reply on Sep 4, 2012 by jbarrette-esristaff
Hello All

First of all, apologies if this has already been solved! However I have a bit of an issue here.

I am looking for some advice on how to automate the application of a symbology style set (that I've defined myself) over 300+ individual shapefiles. It's an incredibly tedious task matching the styles individually. The styles are matched to a label assigned as an attribute to polygons and polylines; this was automated in application through the modelbuilder.

I have searched the forums and come up a couple of times with this

Update Layer in Python:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/UpdateLayer/00s30000003p000000/

I have never attempted to run anything in ArcPy before, and have very limited experience with syntax (I used to play games in MS DOS, and that's it!). I attempted to simply fill in the example using my file paths with no success, if anyone is willing to explain a bit more or can point me to more reading I would be grateful. I am experienced with the model builder, so if anyone has any ideas how to complete this task through that then I would be incredibly grateful!

Hope you can help, and this isn't too much to ask!

Kieran

Outcomes