10.1 server geoprocessing tools 64 bit fails if dependent on 32 bit dll?

Jump to solution
08-30-2012 11:13 PM
StefanOffermann
Occasional Contributor II
Hi,

as ArcGIS for Server 10.1 is now completely 64 bit, I think some older custom geoprocessing services developed with C# may not work by simply re-compiling them for 10.1. When a DLL is compiled to 64 bit, I can run the gp tool in ArcCatalog and publish it to the server (this is in a32 bit environment). But when the DLL is dependent on a 32 bit DLL like LOG4NET, the tool run will fail on AGS with "tool not valid" on the first time a statement of the dependent 32 bit DLL is being executed.

Is this correct?

Best regards, Stefan
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Maybe the problem is that the system cannot find log4net?

Download the latest log4net, build against it, install it in the GAC and retry.  I suspect that that will work just fine.

If it works then you can remove it from the GAC.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Is log4net 32 bit only?

This is the one I am using:

C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\log4net\1.2.11.0__669e0ddf0bb1aa2a

Note that it is in GAC_MSIL which I believe indicates that it can execute in either 32 bit or 64 bit host processes.
0 Kudos
StefanOffermann
Is log4net 32 bit only?

It seems so, because removing all references to log4net makes the tool work again under 10.1 server.

This is the one I am using:

C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\log4net\1.2.11.0__669e0ddf0bb1aa2a

Note that it is in GAC_MSIL which I believe indicates that it can execute in either 32 bit or 64 bit host processes.

I would like to not use global assembly cache for any dependencies, because registering them needs administrator rights (this may be an anti-pattern?). I always try to avoid GAC.

Another strange behaviour: The working gp tool works fine when called from a toolbox in ArcCatalog. But a published gp service does not honor the given parameter values. Instead, the result is always the default result from the time when the service was published... is it a bug in 10.1 without service pack?

Best regards, Stefan
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Maybe the problem is that the system cannot find log4net?

Download the latest log4net, build against it, install it in the GAC and retry.  I suspect that that will work just fine.

If it works then you can remove it from the GAC.
StefanOffermann
Thanks, registering in GAC solved the problem 🙂
0 Kudos