Problem borrowing ArcMap 10.0 license from 10.1 lic. manager

08-26-2012 09:10 AM
TanjaKantola
New Contributor
We recently upgraded our ArcGIS license server to 10.1

After, we received complaints from a client (using the server) that borrowing ArcMap 10.0 license no longer works.
    Or, more precisely, he wrote that borrowing seems to work, but starting ArcMap after borrowing gets stuck with message "Initializing license..." - i.e. ArcMap won't start, and also returning the license won't succeed.

The client had tried with 3 different computers, two of them had ArcGIS 10.0 service pack installed.
    I am using desktop 10.1, and borrowing works fine for me - returning the license does not succeed, however.

We were told by ESRI, that 10.1 license manager should be backwards compatible with 10.0

Does anyone have a clue of what might be the problem? Something went wrong with license manager installation? Or some compatibility problem? Or something else that should be noted?
    Does anyone else experience the same?

Our local ESRI customer service was not able to help.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
Don't know if this bug applies to 10.1 also, but you can try the workarounds suggested:

Bug NIM-060359
High Latency/Low Bandwidth connections prevents license borrowing, license distribution, and/or enterprise activation/return.

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/TklNMDYwMzU5
0 Kudos
BubbaHey
Also if this doesn't help, try posting to the ArcGIS installation forum, there are some members well versed in License Manager
0 Kudos
ThomasMontefusco
Occasional Contributor II
NIM-060359  still applies to 10.1 (should be fixed in SP1, I believe). Try a Tracert to determine if latency.
0 Kudos
StefanMagosch
New Contributor
Hello,

a collegue of me is using ArcGIS 10.1 via vpn-connection to the licence manager and tries to borrow the licence. It seems to be the same problem -> same error (It looks like succesfully borrowing the licence, but she couldn't start ArcMap -> no Licence). We try to use the shown workaround.
0 Kudos
BubbaHey
This is a common problem. Have you tried all four workarounds?
0 Kudos