Publishing a composite locator- registering data store

Jump to solution
08-22-2012 01:06 PM
BrianOevermann
Occasional Contributor III
I have a folder on the server containing the individual locators that make up the composite locator, as well as the composite locator itself.  The folder is registered and I have successfully published the individual locators with no issues.

When I attempt to publish the composite locator, the Analyze result informs me that the "Composite locator will be copied to the server" with a Code ID of 30009.

Is there a reason the individual locators can be published without copying but the composite locator cannot?  I must be missing something.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrianOevermann
Marc,

After not getting any response through the forum post I opened a support request with tech support.  The response was, to paraphrase, that composite locators get copied to the server by design.  There is no way to publish a composite locator that is pointed to another location on your network, unlike the locators that are participating in the composite.

Sorry that I neglected to follow up with my own solution.  I guess with no response that I didn't feel anyone else cared to know the solution.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor
Did you ever get an answer or other resolution on this issue?
0 Kudos
BrianOevermann
Marc,

After not getting any response through the forum post I opened a support request with tech support.  The response was, to paraphrase, that composite locators get copied to the server by design.  There is no way to publish a composite locator that is pointed to another location on your network, unlike the locators that are participating in the composite.

Sorry that I neglected to follow up with my own solution.  I guess with no response that I didn't feel anyone else cared to know the solution.
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor
Brian,

Thanks.  You didn't mention it, but does publishing your composite locator also copy the individual locators even if they are already published?  That's what happened to me. 

Marc
0 Kudos
BrianOevermann
Marc,

So, a little background...
When I created my locators (including the composite), I saved them in a folder called 'Locators' (original, I know) on the map server. As an aside, I also have a folder there that has all of the .mxd projects that create all of my map services.  The data is on SDE or in a file gdb library area, all registered with the server.

Just like you, I have published each of the individual locators separately, then I publish the composite locator which gets copied to the map server.

On the map server, my composite locator is sitting here:
\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\geocode_services\<my_composite_locator_name>.GeocodeServer

Inside that folder, like all map services, I have an 'extracted' folder that contains an 'esriinfo' folder.

There are folders for each of the locator services in the 'geocode_services' folder with the same structure as above.  In the composite locator folder, however, there is an additional folder called 'v101' that contains the .loc and .loc.xml files.

These two files make up the actual locator.  These files exist in my 'Locators' folder mentioned above for the rest of my locators.  I don't believe it is simply because I happen to have them in a folder already on the server itself that they are not copied into the same structure as the composite locator.  I think they could easily be anywhere on the network as long as the folder is registered with the server.

So with all of that said, are the .loc and .loc.xml files getting saved to a 'v101' folder for your other locators or are you simply seeing the individual folders that are normally present?  I am assuming that you have registered your locator folder location, otherwise you would see the obvious warning message that the locators will be copied to the server (like you see with the composite).
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor
Brian,

Thanks for the detail.  My individual and composite locators are all in SDE, which is registered.  My first attempt at publishing was just the composite locators and I was warned that the individual locators would be copied to the server along with the composite locator.  This can be seen as well by running Analyze.  The other day I decided to see what would happen if I published the individual locators first.  That worked well and no data was copied to the server.  But when I next published a composite, it insisted on again copying the composite and both individual locators to the server.  So, I stopped that process, deleted the locator services and went back to the way I did it the first time.

Looking at the composite locator service files under extracted\v101 I do see the .loc and loc.xml files for the composite and then folders named 00 and 01 for the individual locators.  Those folders have .loc, .loc.xml and .lox files, where the .lox file is large and I assume is an index file for the locator.

While the copying of the data does not bother me, what does is having to remember to republish every time I update the locators.  Updating a feature class does not require updating all services using that feature class (good thing, eh?), so this is annoying.

Marc
0 Kudos
BrianOevermann
Marc,

I wonder if your experience is due to the fact that these are SDE locators. I have no idea--maybe an ESRI employee will lurk by and have some knowledge to impart regarding that.

When I upgraded Server from 9.x to 10.0, I completely rebuilt my locators because of the new underlying structure.  And when I upgraded to 10.1 I again completely rebuilt my locators.

So, all of the info and experience I have shared is based on locators created using 10.1.  The underlying data those locators reference is in SDE.

The "republish after rebuild" is a complete pain.  My plan is to script a nightly process that takes care of this and other Server-related maintenance headaches but I haven't had a moment to do that.  Fortunately, we aren't adding streets and site addresses by the boatload right now so it is reasonable to keep up.
0 Kudos
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor
Brian,

It's a mystery.  Another possible factor is that my SDE is still at 9.3.1 and will be there until all clients are up to 10.1, and that's a ways off.  Anyway, at least it works, unlike other Server 10.1 problems I'm dealing with.....

Marc
0 Kudos
ScottKearney
New Contributor II
Did this issue change for the better in 10.2?  Another words, do you still have to rebuild the composite geolocator in sde and republish to AGS?  The non-composite locators only require rebuilding.
0 Kudos
BrianOevermann
Scott,

I have yet to move us to 10.2 so I cannot answer your question.  The other contributor to this thread--Marc--seems to have been lagging even further behind (he indicated he was on 9.3.1 with his locators).  Maybe someone else will view this thread and be able to comment.  I am looking to upgrade after the first of the year if I can juggle the schedule enough.  If I remember, I will respond with my experience after.

And to clarify, my locators are built from within ArcCatalog against SDE data.  I believe Marc's locators were built within SDE.
0 Kudos