How do I add client side graphic on top of a map service layer using REST API?

08-21-2012 09:09 AM
JasonWood1
New Contributor
Hi,

Is there a way to add client side graphic on top of a map service layer using the REST API to pinpoint location of a coordinate on the map?

Thank you,
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
MapService's REST API does not allow passing in client-side graphics as a parameter to it's export operation.

May I know what exactly you want to do?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
JasonWood1
New Contributor
Hi,
Before I used the Web ADF to add the custom graphics to the map description and then use ExportMapImage to get the generated map image. Since Web ADF will be obsolete in future versions of ArcGIS Server I need another method to do this. The only way I know to export map is to use the REST API. Do you know a way to do this without using the Web ADF? Thanks.
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
you can use Export Web Map Task  and see Export Web Map specification for graphics
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
Jason,

Any reason why you can't use client-side graphics layer supported by all ArcGIS Web APIs to draw graphics on top of map?
why do you need to need to burn the graphics in the image returned by mapservice's export operation?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Michael_LesBober
New Contributor

I am trying to add client side graphics to the web map specification for this purpose and cannot get this to work correctly for displaying point data - does anyone have a working JSON string that I could try and test with. Thanks

0 Kudos
Michael_LesBober
New Contributor

I am trying to add client side graphics to the web map specification for this purpose and cannot get this to work correctly for displaying point data - does anyone have a working JSON string that I could try and test with. Thanks

0 Kudos