caching on demand

08-07-2012 05:52 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I'm having issues with a cached service that is supposed to be drawing on demand.  I precached to the current extent of the map which was basically my area of interest.  I've noticed that when I leave the precached area, they tiles are blank.  I have the checkbox Create tiles on demand checked on the Advanced Settings tab in the Service editor.  For the tiles in the current extent of the map listed, everything is great.  In 10.0 this option also worked, what do I have set that is not allowing the tiles to create on demand?  I would think that if somebody went to an non cached area in the Flex viewer that after a few minutes they would see the tile created.  I also have tried to get this to draw in ArcCatalog preview and by bringing the service into ArcMap, nothing seems to work.  I will attempt to cache another area that is not cached currently using an feature class and we'll see what happens and add the update here.

UPDATE: Well that update using the ManageMapServerCacheTiles tool and recreating empty tiles within a area of interest, did nothing that I can see.  I even restarted the service, cleared the internet cache viewed it in both ArcCatalog and ArcMap and nothing happened in these new areas at all.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I still haven't figured this out, does anyone have a solution for me.  This seems like a bug but I'm not really sure.  It seems that if I have Create tiles on demand checked, it should continue to draw the tiles without having to recache.  Is there any reason why the drawing wouldn't work?  I have overwritten the services since then, for the next time it gets completely recached, is this maybe the problem??
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos