AnsweredAssumed Answered

Enabled security, now cached map services won't display

Question asked by mflawton on Aug 6, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 14, 2012 by mflawton
I enabled security in ArcGIS Server Manager because I needed to lock down a couple of map services. My other map services are all public so I gave them "Everyone" permission so that they could remain available to everybody, including my four cached basemap services. Everything is fine except that my four cached basemap services will no longer display in my map applications.

I am able to successfully browse to specific map tiles in each service in the arcgiscache directory, so it doesn't appear to be a permission problem. However, if I go to the REST endpoint for one of the cached services and click on "Start Tile" or "End Tile" in one of the cached scales then I get an error. On the server the error reports as this:

Source Error:   An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.    Stack Trace:    [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]    ESRI.ArcGIS.REST.Security.SecurityFilter.DoTileFilter(HttpContext context, RestRequest rreq, RestAppConfig config) +78    ESRI.ArcGIS.REST.Security.SecurityFilter.DoFilter(HttpContext context) +111    ESRI.ArcGIS.REST.RestModule.app_AuthenticateRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e) +34    System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +68    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

Is REST having some issue authenticating to the ArcGIS Server security? Do I need to modify my config to compensate? I am not trying to filter or secure these four cached services, I just want them to be open to everybody. The other dynamic services have been unaffected by the security implementation and draw fine in my apps, it is just affecting the cached services. Help is urgently appreciated!

Outcomes