ArcSDE 10.1 Create Enterprise Geodatase error

08-06-2012 01:46 AM
IonutSandric
New Contributor
Hello:
I installed and configured ArcGIS Server Standard 10.1 and ArcSDE 10.1 with Postgresql  on RedHat 6. When I try to create an enterprise geodatase from ArcGIS Desktop I get the following error message:

Executing: CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase PostgreSQL 192.168.5.....
Start Time: Mon Aug 06 12:16:55 2012
User has privileges required to create database objects.
Geodatabase admin user already exists.
Database created.
Validated authorization file.
User has required privileges for geodatabase setup.
XML support is enabled for the database instance.
You must copy the latest ST_GEOMETRY and dependent libraries to the PostgreSQL software location. Refer to the ArcGIS help topics for more details.

Connected RDBMS instance is not setup for Esri spatial type configuration.
Failed to execute (CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase).
Failed at Mon Aug 06 12:17:00 2012 (Elapsed Time: 5.00 seconds)

I copied the st_geometry and other files from /opt/sdepg/sdeexe101/lib to /opt/Postgresql/9.0/lib, but the error remains
The same steps where executed on Windows 2008 server and there was no error
The error message doesn't give to much information about the cause of it and I really don't know what else I should do
I already have defined the environmental variables in .bashrc and .bash_profile from /home/sde
I tried to run sdesetup from commandline, but it is available only for rater data; it went smoothly with no problems at all

Any idea would help

Thank you,

Ionut
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
Don't know much on the database end, but maybe this will help: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//001700000162000000
0 Kudos
DavidMuthami
New Contributor
Create Enterprise Geodatabase on PostgreSQL Fails on RHEL 6 and i would get this error "you must copy the latest st_geometry and dependent libraries to the postgresql location....."

Solution to this was resolved by running the command below showing me the location i would place the st_geometry.so

pg_config �??pkglibdir

The command returned the following location

/opt/PostgreSQL/9.0/lib/postgresql

I went ahead and moved the st_geometry.so file into its appropriate location as root user using the command below;

mv /opt/PostgreSQL/9.0/lib/st_geometry.so    /opt/PostgreSQL/9.0/lib/postgresql

The above solution i got from Esri Redlands Tech Support team.
MubasharAhmad1
New Contributor

Resolved the same issue for me. Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
This is also documented in the setup topic for geodatabases in PostgreSQL:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Setting_up_a_geodatabase_in_PostgreSQL/002p000000010...

In step 3 for Linux:
Set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to the PostgreSQL lib directory. The location of the lib directory can vary depending on how you installed PostgreSQL. To determine the correct location for your PostgreSQL installation, execute pg_config as the postgres user. Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the value that is returned for PKGLIBDIR.

In step 7 for Linux:
Move the file from this location on the ArcGIS client, log in to the PostgreSQL server as the root user, and place the st_geometry.so file in the PostgreSQL lib directory. (This is the same location to which you set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.)
0 Kudos