Can't set up HTTPS in 10.1 Server

08-03-2012 03:40 PM
StevenGriffith
New Contributor III
I'm trying to get my 10.1 Server to accept both HTTP and HTTPS. I've tried following the directions listed here and here, however the GIS Server never listens on port 6443.

Any ideas? I've tried just about everything, including verifying that it is possible to connect on port 6443 (i.e. I'm not being blocked by an AV or firewall) but I can't get the server to start listening on that port.

Steve G.
County of SLO
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
StevenGriffith
New Contributor III
Well, I tried again to set up SSL on my 10.1 server using the directions linked in my first post and now I cannot log into the server at all. I'm completely hosed.

Help!

Steve G
County of SLO
0 Kudos
StevenGriffith
New Contributor III
Update to my 10.1 saga

Background: Followed the directions in the online help to set my 10.1 server for secure communications (HTTPS).
Result: Server was completely hosed - no services were responding and I could not even get login screens for the manager or admin interfaces.
Fix: Performed some judicious surgery on the server install  (deleted /Program Files/arcgis/server/framework/runtime/tomcat/conf directory) and then did a repair install from the original media. I could then log in to the admin interface via HTTP and reset the server security configuration back to HTTP traffic only. Unfortunately, doing this also wiped out all my service definitions so I need to republish all my mxd's.

There has got to be a better way to recover from this type of problem - something that shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. Setting the security configuration to HTTPS traffic only should not render a 10.1 server deaf, dumb and blind, especially when you're just following the instructions.

I still need to know how to get secure communications set up on my server... ultimately, I'm back at square one. All I've learned so far is that following the ESRI instructions is really not a good idea.

Steve G
County of SLO
0 Kudos
StevenGriffith
New Contributor III
Re: Fixed -- not quite

I spoke a bit too soon. While my site appears to be running again, any attempts to configure the server (start/stop services, etc.) results in an error message:

"ArcGIS Server Site is currently being configured by another process. Please try again later."

There's no getting past this stage, including rebooting the server. At this point I think I'm ready to do a full uninstall/reinstall and hope that whatever is "stuck" gets wiped in the process.

Steve G
County of SLO
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Steve,

At this point, I would highly encourage you to contact Esri Support Services for assistance. If there is an issue with the documentation we can correct it, and one of our Support Analysts will be able to help you get this all configured.

http://support.esri.com/en/

Cheers,
Andrew
0 Kudos