Euclidean Distance Tool.

Jump to solution
08-02-2012 06:12 AM
AndrewRoberts2
New Contributor III
I need to know how to set the scale of the output raster from the euclidean distance tool. I need the output in meters and I do not know how to set it to this. All I know is the output that I'm getting is on a scale that is much larger than meters or even kilometers...

Any help is appreciated!

-Andrew
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
The cell size of 0.05 sounds like GCS units of decimal degrees.  This would explain why it doesn't run when you set it to 100 decimal degrees - 1 degree is ~69 miles. The tools do not care what the dataframe is set to.  It only cares about the input data's coordinate system.

You can ignore my comment about cellsize in the environments if you're setting it in the tool.  There are basically two ways to control it.

You have to look at the properties of the input data, and its best to be using a projected coordinate system.  My guess is you have something in a geographic coordinate system.

Regards,
Eric

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Andrew,

What is the coordinate system of the input? The units of the coordinate system are the units on the output distances. If you need other units, you'll have to run the Project/Project Raster tool to get desired units or make use of the Output Coordinate System in the environment settings.

Is your input raster or feature? If feature, are you using Cell Size setting in the environments?

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
AndrewRoberts2
New Contributor III
Hey Eric,

Attached is a screen shot of the coordinate system that I am using. Also under General>Units in data frame properties, my map is set at meters and my display is set to kilometers.

My inputs are all features/vectors. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by, "are you using Cell Size setting in the environments" but I do have values in for the parameter of output cell size.

The thing is, I have two tools created using modelbuilder and both do generally the same thing. However one appears to output in meters and the other does not. The tool that outputs in what appears to be meters has 100 for output cell size, the tool that has a very abstract scale has an output cell size of 0.05.
The 0.05 value is inputted by the tool when I leave the parameter blank and if I change it to 100 the tool does not run.
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
The cell size of 0.05 sounds like GCS units of decimal degrees.  This would explain why it doesn't run when you set it to 100 decimal degrees - 1 degree is ~69 miles. The tools do not care what the dataframe is set to.  It only cares about the input data's coordinate system.

You can ignore my comment about cellsize in the environments if you're setting it in the tool.  There are basically two ways to control it.

You have to look at the properties of the input data, and its best to be using a projected coordinate system.  My guess is you have something in a geographic coordinate system.

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
AndrewRoberts2
New Contributor III
Thanks a lot Eric!

Your Right, the coordinate system for the inputs were in degrees for the tool that was not working. The geographic input coordinates can be seen in attachment 1 and the projected geographic coordinates can be seen in attachment 2.

I used the project tool under Data Management > Projection and Transformations in arc toolbox to fix this!!
0 Kudos